Thread: Identifying a Problem With C-41 Film

Identifying a Problem With C-41 Film

Hi all,

I recently scanned my first batch of 4x5 work and I have a problem with a few negatives which I can't identify. I'm especially interested in knowing if it's something I did or something the lab did.

This image shows the problem clearly: the orange around the edges. Near the top right, the orange area has a very defined edge, which means it can't be exclusively related to chemistry. At the time I made this picture, my camera had a light leak in the bellows--not sure if that's related, either. This is a lousy scan with newton rings, etc, but it illustrates the problem well.

Any knowledge or speculation is appreciated!

nick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catalog_April 2018_24.jpg  

Re: Identifying a Problem With C-41 Film

Looks like slight fog which occurred when loading or unloading the film to/from the holder. Although a light leak in the bellows may have been the cause as well, but I'd put my money on lack of complete darkness when loading/unloading film.

Re: Identifying a Problem With C-41 Film

Quote Originally Posted by nicksotis View Post
    Hi all,

I'm especially interested in knowing if it's something I did or something the lab did.
    This is a scanning issue that only occurs with color negatives. It's light shining through the orange mask of the film. Thats why good filmscanners have masks for the negatives. But even then it's not always sucessful.

In this case I think the negative does not lie flat on your scanner or your holder doesn't. Do some more scans with the negative in different orientation.
    If there would be a lightleak in your holder, it would be red on the positive and green on the negative.
    “When we have no thought of achievement, no thought of self, we are true beginners... This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.”
    - Shunryu Suzuki -