Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: photography for Katrina victims.

photography for Katrina victims.

I've sent off email to Gus Kopriva at the Redbud Gallery inquiring if they are organizing a charity auction. I'll report back here if/when I hear from them.

I've also noted that there are other art charity efforts started out there, and it might make sense to pile in with one of them rather than start something from scratch.

One is www.artforkatrina.com. check it out.

Paul, I agree that there may be a better place for us to contribute, rather than start our own. I think if we keep progressing one way or the other we'll be able to make the diffrence we want to make. If anyone knows of a better way, or something already started, I'm happy to go in that direction and promote it on my site.

Ellen may have touched on a good idea: checking with her local club. The logistics may be easier to do this locally rather than worldwide on the web. I'd be happy to donate images in that direction as well.

Mark, about the money you and your fellow British tax payers are paying to the US. We WISH that were possible, but you've seen how our guys work. Got a picture?
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

as of 31 March 2001 the UK still owed the USA $346,287,953 as part of repayments due to WW2. As a UK tax payer, I'm still paying this off (although I was not alive during this period).
    As we British tax-payers are pouring money into the USA federal reserve, can't we demand that these monies go to help those in most need on the southern coast?

Sure, you can demand whatever you like.

However, since the money was spent on beating back the Nazi and fascist scourge, no one will listen to your demands, because the MONEY HAS ALREADY BEEN SPENT.

And, while you're at it, perhaps instead of complaining about it, you might feel good, since the loans were supposed to have been paid off back in 1999 but the US agreed to defer payments six times - pretty accomodating, I think, since we're apparently nothing but a bunch of war-mongering imperialist running dog loan sharks.

And look at the bright side - Gordon Brown say's he's committed to paying it all off by 2006. So you'll be all paid up by next year.

And, to put it even more bluntly - no, the fact that the UK is repaying a loan to the US does not give you the right make demands about how the repayments are spent. That's rather like you making demands of the bank that holds your mortgage, isn't it? Give that a try, and let us know how it goes...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Mission Fish is being used by ArtForKatrina to deliver the proceeds to charity. Also, eBay Giving Works has a number of Katrina-related groups and individuals.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Icant snoop around the Houston galleries until the weekend but maybe others in this area can. My idea is to get a gallery to contribute space and time for a "Photography for Katrina Victims" sale/auction. Prints could be sent to the gallery and from there be auctioned off. This could provide a lot of pub for a gallery. For the photographers sending in prints I think this is a time to be totally altruistic. Send in the work, you get nothing and if the work is not sold it is tossed or sent back if there is SASE. The gallery writes a check to the Red Cross or some relief agency. This would simplify the gallery committment. I dont mean to imply that this should be limited to Houston. A good gallery anywhere would do.

Here's the response I got from Gus Kopriva:

PROJECT STORM

Houston Artists and Galleries Fundraiser

Benefiting Katrina Victims thru the Red Cross

Specifics:

Artists donate two dimensional artwork less than 12 x 12 inches in size.

Artist to include name, title, year, medium, and contact information on the verso.

All mediums. Open selection.

Deliver or ship donated art to:

Mackey Gallery 5111 center st, Houston, Tx 77007. 713-850-8527. Tues – Friday 11-5: Sat 10-5. www.mackeygallery,com

Delivery date deadline : 9-30-05

Exhibition and drawing to be held Saturday (October, to be verified), 2005 , 7 to 10 PM at the El Dorado Ballroom/Project Row Houses Elgin at Lyons Ave. Houston, Texas.

Art will be displayed on the floor facing up as in a Persian Rug or Floor show. (Historical Building has no suitable walls for hanging).

Patrons will purchase a numbered ticket for $150 which will entitle the purchaser to choose one piece of art as their ticket is drawn at random. Art will be selected in order as the ticket numbers are drawn.

Each patron will have 2 minutes to choose the art selection of their choice.

All proceeds (checks) are made out to The American Red Cross.

Steering Team:

Apama Mackey,

Betty Moody,

Sharon Kopriva

Wayne Gilbert,

Gus Kopriva, Contact Project Manager, 713-8544246

gakopriva@aol.com. Redbud Gallery

Sponsors:

Mackey Gallery

Moody Gallery

101 Gallery

Redbud Gallery