Thread: Wollensak 159mm Lens Shutter Options

Wollensak 159mm Lens Shutter Options

I have a Wollensak 159mm lens mounted in an Alphax F9.5 shutter where the T setting is failing making it difficult to focus. I can use a cable with a lock on the B setting but is there another type of shutter, maybe one with a focus preview lever, that the lenses can be mounted in?

loujon

Re: Wollensak 159mm Lens Shutter Options

Quote Originally Posted by joedgaia View Post
    I have a Wollensak 159mm lens mounted in an Alphax F9.5 shutter where the T setting is failing making it difficult to focus. I can use a cable with a lock on the B setting but is there another type of shutter, maybe one with a focus preview lever, that the lenses can be mounted in?
    My late version is mounted in the largest Rapax shutter which is laoded with features including a switched flash sync, T -B 1-400 & a preview lever.

I'm not sure but I would guess if your WA is a later coated version (so post WWII), it would be a direct fit from The Alphax (self setting shutter) to the largest size Rapax w/ preview lever (manual set shutter). Seeing how it's the same time frame and the same company they may have the same size cells .

I'm working away from home for a few more days but will/can put my calipers on my cells/shutter when I'm back at the house. I would guess you can find some of if not all the dimensions at Camera Eccentric in the Wollensak catalogs.

TY Louis

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by joedgaia View Post
    I'd just get another Alphax, or Betax #3 shutter; (and/or get your's serviced? - They're pretty durable) Any Alphax should do; just transfer the face with the matching aperture scale. If you want flash, get a Synchromatic. AFAIK, Rapax shutters have different dimensions, but don't quote me on that. (I'd sell you my matching Betax shutter if you get desperate lol).
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Why not get it repaired? I'd ask Carol at Flutot's.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The cells will screw directly in to any Alphax or Betax #3 shutter. A Rapax looks like close but no cigar.

Alphax shutters are dead simple and a joy to work on, even for those usually reluctant to open up the hood. There’s not much that can’t be fixed with a simple, partial disassembly and cleaning of gunked-up parts. If this fails, Flutot’s is the next step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C28D9331-1628-4C98-972D-C4A632CFA4BE.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	179848

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Why not get it repaired? I'd ask Carol at Flutot's.
    On Facebook today Carol announced they would be closed for a few weeks. No other explanation.
    Terry

Kerry Thalmann found a late model, multi-coated version of this lens.

I sent it off to Carol. She was able to get it working again although she said that the T setting wouldn't function. As it is necessary for focusing, I'll have to use the Bulb setting with a cable release lock down for focus purposes, not ideal but a workaround.