Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Graphic Solenoid Replacement?

Super Graphic Solenoid Replacement?

After finally getting on with my idea of putting a small Chinese-made circuit board in my Super Graphic to kick the voltage up, I find myself disappointed at the project. So I have another idea. How about putting a regular low-voltage solenoid from a Speed or Crown in place of the 45V one in the Super? I got out my dial caliper and it certainly looks doable. The Crown/Speed solenoid is actually a hair smaller in diameter than the Super one, except at the base, where the plug goes in. It's slightly bigger there than the diameter of the Super's solenoid. But I also notice the solenoid on the Super has a wee bit of wiggle room. And if that isn't quite enough, there's plenty of soft metal in the frame that could be wallowed out a hair, with no harm done.
    And the Super's battery bay certainly has room for at least 4 or more AAA batteries. So first a question--just exactly what is the correct voltage of the Speed Graphic solenoid? Is it 3V or 4.5, or either? And what voltage would I end up running that battery power through the normal circuit in the Super Graphic? Attached is the circuit of the super Graphic. Does anybody see something wrong with my idea that I'm not getting? Thank you. PS attached also is a photo of the Super Graphic solenoid in it's correct position.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schematic.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	175764
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solenoid.jpg  

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Super Graphic Solenoid Replacement?

They operate interchangeably with either 2 or 3 D-cells, depending on which flash handle is used.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    just exactly what is the correct voltage of the Speed Graphic solenoid
    What Brian said. Three to 4.5 volts. You are over-thinking the issue. As you investigate further you might find some not-very-bright ideas of adding a capacitor, but that was due to the impoverished capacity of early batteries. Do not bother.

I am not sure what you mean by 'solenoid replacement', but keep in mind the solenoid synchronized the bulb flash timing with the shutter - usually firing the bulb 50ms before actuating the solenoid, therefore the shutter.

Solenoids are common and inexpensive. Go for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    What Brian said. Three to 4.5 volts. One wire plus ground. You are over-thinking the issue.
    As you investigate further you might find some not-very-bright ideas of adding a capacitor, but that was due to the impoverishes capacity of early batteries. Do not bother.
    Do you mean, just run the batteries through the red switch, and cutting out any capacitors entirely? I am overthinking it, but that's just my way. I'd rather overthink and find out the job was much easier, than to dive into a job and find I got in way over my head. Back in the day, Graflites invariably used phootflash batteries, which had a whole lot of instantaneous kick. Almost their own capacitor. I haven't experimented with how many AAA's I can fit in the Super Graphic battery bay, but I know it's at least 4. So I could solder up 2 pairs each in parallel, and have my 3V. I don't think 6 AAA's will fit. But if they do, then I could have 3 pairs of AAA's. Since they're $1 a 4-pack at the dollar tree, I bet I could get at least 25 shutter trips out of the set. I really do want my red button to work, and I don't want to tear up my near-mint camera installing knucklehead homebrew ideas.

I would think so, Henry. But I’m not an electrical engineer.

I didn’t know that folks used phtoflash batteries... I used plain Duracell.

The red button is a fantastic aid when shooting handheld (I really miss being able to use mine), but have you thought of using a Pacemaker board with solenoid and a Graflite handle? If your not interested in the SuperGraphic’s internal flash synch connectivty to the 3-hole plug it’s a fast and effective solution. Plus there’s a handle!

Back then there were only carbon zinc and photoflash batteries. I remember reading to never use the carbon zinc in a flash because they couldn't deliver enough instant amperage. Back then, they both leaked like a sieve, but photoflash batteries were notorious for making a mess.

Edit: I have a very nice, absolute mint Speed and a very nice Graflite to go with it. But I want to use my Super. I got rid of my Calumet because the Super was all the view camera I needed, when I need some movements. That Super Graphic and its red button hand-held is the stuff.

I completely put leaky carbon-zinc batteries out of my mind. Now I understand!

BTW, when I bought that Super, I also bought a Strobonar 682S, which is the latest thyristor model, and takes regular AA batteries. AND, the same mounting brackets from the Graflite fit on the Strobonars. It's a very nice outfit. Once I get my red button working, between that and my Grafmatic holders, that can be a very hot working camera.

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    BTW, when I bought that Super, I also bought a Strobonar 682S, which is the latest thyristor model, and takes regular AA batteries. AND, the same mounting brackets from the Graflite fit on the Strobonars. It's a very nice outfit. Once I get my red button working, between that and my Grafmatic holders, that can be a very hot working camera.
    Are the caps ok in that flash?