Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short Film "Sharing the Light" featuring Bob Kolbrener

Re: Short Film "Sharing the Light" featuring Bob Kolbrener

Thanks for this!

-Joshua

Suzanne, fine work. It introduced me to Kolbrener's work as well, a man of rare vision.

I would add something to the previous comments. Nolan's pursuit is encouraging not only for taking up LF photography and its processes "that take forever,", but, as he suggests, the quality of thought process and outlook which can come from this deliberative approach, not only to art but to life. I am by no means against improvements in technology that make our lives better, including those that speed things up; it is when time to think, to appreciate and employ the richness of language (spoken and written, not COBOL) in communicating with each other, to contemplate our history and discover new paths for communicating, as the poet Shelley said, profound and impassioned concepts respecting man and nature -- when these are devalued by insistence on instantaneous results, we lose something essential to our humanity, and thus to society. To have the opportunity to participate, as a young person, in such education or apprenticeships as this film portrays is something to be treasured in today's troubled times.

I also enjoyed the thoughtful marriage of Schubert's piano trio with the visual and narrative.

Thanks for sharing.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

My goodness. What a beautiful and articulate response. I shared this with all the participants in the film - they are grateful whenever someone GETS some of the deeper nuances of this film. I love the Shelley quote. Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. Warm regards to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Suzanne, fine work. It introduced me to Kolbrener's work as well, a man of rare vision.

I would add something to the previous comments. Nolan's pursuit is encouraging not only for taking up LF photography and its processes "that take forever,", but, as he suggests, the quality of thought process and outlook which can come from this deliberative approach, not only to art but to life. I am by no means against improvements in technology that make our lives better, including those that speed things up; it is when time to think, to appreciate and employ the richness of language (spoken and written, not COBOL) in communicating with each other, to contemplate our history and discover new paths for communicating, as the poet Shelley said, profound and impassioned concepts respecting man and nature -- when these are devalued by insistence on instantaneous results, we lose something essential to our humanity, and thus to society. To have the opportunity to participate, as a young person, in such education or apprenticeships as this film portrays is something to be treasured in today's troubled times.

I also enjoyed the thoughtful marriage of Schubert's piano trio with the visual and narrative.

Thanks for sharing.

digging for fire

wow. i find it kind of dull, all the well sought angles and excessive slomos aside. kolbrener seems to be a very nice and also interesting character though. thanks for sharing. is this advertisement for the younger guy? maybe it is, and yes, maybe somebody will get interested in lf photography watching this.
    i actually doubt it. it doesnt bring anything original to the table.. just my opinion.

Wonderful video, great work by both artists. Thanks for sharing.

Everything about this was wonderful.

So much to love about this film; intelligent, artistic and considerate. Well done.

joe murray | nativesonsfilms

Directors Guild Of America-Director
    Int'l Cinematographers Guild -Director of Photography
    www.nativesonsfilms.com

Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Wonderful video, great work by both artists. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by chris77 View Post
    wow. i find it kind of dull, all the well sought angles and excessive slomos aside. kolbrener seems to be a very nice and also interesting character though. thanks for sharing. is this advertisement for the younger guy? maybe it is, and yes, maybe somebody will get interested in lf photography watching this.
    i actually doubt it. it doesnt bring anything original to the table.. just my opinion.
    Maybe for you it "doesn't bring anything original to the table" but don't you think it still can inspire people? People who don't know about this art - especially the younger generation, which is growing up with taking pictures on their smartphones, could be introduced to lf photography like this.
    Anyways, I think it was a lovely film.

Suzanne,

loved the film, I think Nolan is on the right track.....like Jim Noel I to have taught photography, I had my last intern last year it was fun to see the lights go.....ask Nolan to ask Bob about the great bike race in Yosemite between him and Art.....Jan