Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cooke Lens Compendium" is finally published

Re: "Cooke Lens Compendium" is finally published

Great! I didn't miss it after all. It looks like I put it in the general history section years ago.

And my thanks to you Barbara and your company for making this information available. Industrial history, albeit restricted to a few specific areas, is a particular interest of mine.

David

Ms. Lowry- many thanks for doing all this research, and publishing it for everyone to see. It's an invaluable piece of photographic history that enriches us all- even those of us who do not use Cooke lenses. ...And I'm sure you knew that you'd find some dedicated historian/editors on this site, too.

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Thanks Ms Lowry for your time and valuable information . I'm a big fan of the Cooke's lenses. Your input is much appreciated.

Do or do not. There is no try.

The text under the Series XV makes mention of the Series XVa, but there's no other information about it. I also didn't see any mention of the PS945. Shouldn't these also be part of the history?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Lowry View Post
    Hi Steven --

The IIe, IId and VIa -- guessing that the catalogues had typos in them regarding the coating, because there is a 1951 lens out there that is coated. Good eye, Steven!
    Barbara,
    I have a real problem with your quoting from the commentary part of old catalogues - that are obviously in error in some instances - without this being remarked on. All "Cooke" lenses after serial number around 290,000 are coated (unless someone has had a special order). I have seen approximately seven series IIe lenses after this serial number into the 1950's - and all have the same coating ex workshop.

Whilst I appreciate your efforts, just about all this data (and without the testimonials and sales pitch!) on series is available in one of the better sections, on T,T & H in the Lens Vade Mecum from 1999. They mention that the extensive T,T & H archive was deposited at the "Snibston Discovery Park" in 1998, perhaps at the same time as the Cooke Management Buy-Out? Is this perhaps a red herring and there is nothing of relevance there?

Barbara,
    Its been awhile - hello! Just so you know...right off the bat - that I'm still adding fontina to my pizzas!

Sadly I must also relate that my L-45A is more or less a bust at this point (despite some very enlightening intersections with Linhof and Sinar) - but I still press the five prototypes (one is now a 5x7) into service regularly!

But what a great thing that you and Les have done...bravely (very bravely!) resurrecting the old Cooke factory to carry on such a noble tradition. How can we ever thank you for this?

Oh...you are a member here - I'll shoot you a PM!

Very nice work putting all this information together
    Questions and comments are always welcome

Have looked but cant find my Anastigmat special.
    Second one i have had!
    5 inch 1:4.5
    Serial number 286681
    Can anyone tell me what its for?
    Medium format or cinematography?
    Thanks

Greatly appreciated.