Thread: Help with glass plate negative

Help with glass plate negative

Does any one know if there are negative carriers that are designed for old glass plate negatives? I have a few 4x5's that I want to enlarge on my Beseler 45 enlarger. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Help with glass plate negative

I have a De Vere 54 which has what I believe is a Whole Plate glass plate holder - I've never used it obviously. Apparently the 54 was called 54 because a 4" x 5" enlarger attracted less tax than a larger 'professional' model, and whilst it took whole plate it was marketed as a 4" x 5". The Whole Plate holder is simply deeper (like an extremely shallow box or drawer) and has a lower lip which should retain a glass plate. The sheet film holder is a clamping one and quite different. I would think that it should be possible to make something out of thick sheet plastic or ply if the enlarger can take the depth.

My DeJure 4x5 enlarger has a two-piece holder which works for plates. A hinged holder wonít really work.

Can you make something out of cardboard?
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pictoriographica
    .. because my wife is happy when I can cover my photography expenses!

Thank you for your thoughts. What I have decided to do is to purchase a used 4x5 film negative carrier and remove its hinge and therefore allow the glass plate to be sandwiched between. I will use some sort of material to act as a stop around the perimeter that I will epoxy to the bottom half of the now separated carrier. I will give it a try and see what happens. The worst case is that I ruin a used carrier.

I bet thatíll work perfectly
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pictoriographica
    .. because my wife is happy when I can cover my photography expenses!

Or find a beseler 4x5 carrier that is missing its glass (or remove it) part #8343 or #8342. Its hinge is slightly offset and the brackets that hold the ANR glass might be useful.
    The mountain waters of North Georgia call out to me, I visit and leave only tripod holes behind. The Appalachian Trail is my treadmill and gym.
    http://www.esearing.com

Pete Oakley

My De Vere 54A has a HALF plate film holder (not whole plate) and half plate film occasionally turns up as do half plate film holders. I doubt that a whole plate holder would fit the enlarger.
    Pete.

You are right I should have said Half plate! But the reason for the name was apparently the increase in tax on professional equipment (> 5" x 4"). Half plate must have been considered a professional format in the UK in the 1950s. I have 5" x 4" and medium format film holders which clamp and sandwich the film but the half plate holder is just a shallow drawer.