Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Variotone Paper and what are you printing on today (May 2018)?

Re: Variotone Paper and what are you printing on today (May 2018)?

Like others I have dwindling amounts of various papers. I like Oriental warmtone & Foma Variant 123 a lot. Have a stack of Ilford Classic & Warmtone (which i like a lot).... Forte Polygrade warmtone (only 11x14 left). A bit of precious & magnificent Fortezo 2&3. & some Lodima & Azo. The Foma papers give me rich prints without a lot of extra effort. Ilford I have to work harder with. The old Brilliant & Forte Warmtone... like the Joni Mitchell song "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.".....had beautiful highlight separation....Usually in PF130 or BW65 or LPD.

Dave Karp

My favorite paper is Adox MCC 110. I liked the paper OK when it was made by Agfa, but did not care for the base. The whiter base of the Adox product makes a huge difference.

I know I don't always like the mainstream offerings. I really liked Kentmere VC FB. I liked it a lot. My second favorite paper. I was happy with Oriental VC, Ilford MG, Arista.Edu Ultra FB VC (Foma), all in glossy. But my favorite paper all time is the Adox MCC 110 glossy.

Ilford

Drew Wiley

I work mostly with Ilford MGWT. It has real punch to it and tones magnificently, visibly better than Adox 110. I use seveal toners, often on the same print. My preferred developer for either of these is 130 glycin. But I also used Ilford MG Cooltone in Amidol at times for, you guessed it - cold neutral blacks. It
    takes a second-row seat to Polygrade V; but I have none of that left, and it has a lot more snap than MGIV. I used quite a bit of Kentmere Fineprint VC for
    awhile, when it was still around. Oriental's quality died long ago; and all of their VC products were disappointing compared to their original graded bromide
    Seagull. But overall, VC papers have dramatically improved, seemingly in inverse proportion to the disappearance of premium graded papers.

Almost through my stash of ADOX Variotone. I use Ilford MG Classic, Seagull VC and lately Bergger CB.