Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
CRI is not infallible...
Yes, a CRI 60 can be better or worse, because a manufacturer can desing the spectrum to have a better measurement.

...but a CRI 98 matches the blackbody spectrum in a 98% average in 8 checking points, so it would be really difficult that a CRI 98 source isn't of extreme quality.

it is a 1960s standard that applies only to standard pastel like colors, it is not a great measure of accuracy or a lights suitability for use in color critical applications. It is a basically a minimal standard, but the only one we have.
CRI was revised in 1995, while the most widely used color space today is CIE 1931, since 1931 !! Another popular space is 1976 CIELUV.

The colorist mentioned how some high CRI lighting is actually worse than lower CRI in some cases etc.
It is true that low CRI light sources may match more or less the bayer dyes on the pixels, or the dyes/sensitization in the color films, but a 98 CRI matches (I reiterate) 98% average of the SPD in 8 checking points of the black boby spectrum, so it's extremly difficult you find a flaw.

I do not disagree that there are LED's available that are great at color reproduction, but I think your chance of getting one off the shelf is still pretty low unless you specifically seek out particular brands and models, or have the time and ability to test.
You can get some variable results with a CRI 80 light, but not with a CR 98. Just spend $25 in a +95CRI household LED bulb and judge on your own.