Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you have an old favorite dodging tool?

Re: Do you have an old favorite dodging tool?

A couple of times I have used a Sharpie on the glass of the contact printing frame partway thru an exposure...does a Sharpie count as a dodging tool?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

lab black

I have an eight piece dodging wand set made by Reinhold Schable that are a pleasure to use.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Maybe that’s a mask

Semantics

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    A couple of times I have used a Sharpie on the glass of the contact printing frame partway thru an exposure...does a Sharpie count as a dodging tool?

Not dodging, but burning - a high quality 5x5" military glass pressure plate painted with automotive red (tail light) dye and a 1" hole drilled through the center.

Back in the 1980s, I was employed as a professional printer. Test strips were very rarely made to save time. When one prints 5 days a week for 2/3s of the workday, one gets very good at guessing the exposure times and which contrast filter to use. Burning in was always done by using both hands. For dodging, did have a piece of stiff wire with a bent wire clip at the end and a box of probably a dozen shapes cut out of black board. But in the end, very, I mean very, very, really rarely ever dodged but would extensively burn in the other areas of the print... again this was done to save time. Still do the same today. Also did have an 8x10 black card that I would rotate around the projected image with the center of the rotation overlapping and thus receiving less exposure... hard to explain but worked great for portraits.

Dave Karp

I have a piece of wire hanger that I cut with a wire cutter. I tape different shapes on it, depending on need. I keep all of the shapes, but don't really use most of them, unless I am reprinting something I printed in the past.

I like the idea of a button with thread. I am going to have to try that one.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    This is a light-hearted question. I have a couple of dodging tools that I've had for 30 years. Use these regularly. Is this a personal problem or do you have a fave dodger?

(Pencil is for size only.)

Attachment 178633
    Excuse me, but shouldn't you have made a photogram?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."