Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Landscape

Re: The Grand Landscape

"Idyllic" would serve as well as "Grand" in the thread title. Beautiful work, and not easy to achieve.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    Thomas, is this image reversed left-to-right? I ask because if looking south in late afternoon, the light would be coming from the right not the left. Still, a very nice image.
    Thanks Jerry but the light is coming from the right. If you look carefully at some of the trees in the valley their shadows fall to their left.

Thanks Mark. Although photogenic, the Diablo Range has been ignored by all or most of the famous photographers from this area despite its proximity. I don't think AA, the Weston's, or any member of the F64 group took one photo in it. Same for Galen Rowell who also lived on its western flank.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Thanks Jerry but the light is coming from the right. If you look carefully at some of the trees in the valley their shadows fall to their left....
    Oops. I got my pictures mixed. I was referring to the image in post #9 by scm that Jon commented on, rather than yours in post #8 (that I missed). That's what I get for looking at the latest post in the thread first.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    Wonderful!
    +1. I always like having a road in the pix. Somehow, my mind can enter the picture "driving" (?) the road. :-)

Above Flagstone Creek

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford IB2.1P photographic paper, image size 19.6cm X 24.4cm, from a 8x10 Kodak Plus-X negative exposed in a Nagaoka double extension field view camera fitted with a Commercial Congo 360mm f6.8 lens and a #25 red filter.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Wonderful Pix! Here's mine...a "grand view" of the Dunes at Stovepipe Wells, Death Valley. Great effort to trek out there at the very last minute...barely time to get one image before the light faded. Layton 5x7 camera, 90mm Grandagon w/orange filter, FP4 film, PMK Pyro. Gotta get back there soon!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunes at Stovepipe Wells, DV.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	179196

Nice last-minute 'grab', John!

A photo of the other sand dune in Death Valley National Park (Eureka Valley). A fellow photographer and I spent a couple nights there -- wandering around the dunes together while making sure we did not put footprints into each others images (unless we wanted them)!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bruce1.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

View in the Colorado Plateau

Several years back, around 2006, I embarked on a long road trip in the Colorado Plateau. Departing on the day after Christmas Day, I traveled over 5000 miles on paved and unpaved roads in my little Toyota Echo to capture the landscape with the camera as best as I could before returning home early February. It was a marvelous journey! I am now in the process of editing through the several hundred negatives produced on this trip for a page on my website that will be dedicated to the landscape of the Colorado Plateau. The image posted above is one of the negatives from that trip.

Thomas

Very Impressive!

A Rainy Day

Thomas