Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fuji Velvia or Provia for portraits?

Drew Wiley

Re: Fuji Velvia or Provia for portraits?

The problem with LED's isn't their cumulative light output, but the imprecision of the key colors. You could hypoithetically add "trimmer" filters to narrow
    the spectral outputs to get something more accurately true RGB; but that would itself greatly reduce light output. For color prints to look "clean" you need
    to be fairly tight in your nm definition of all three colors. This isn't the case with VC black and white papers. A different kind of problem is that LED's are still an adolescent technology for this kind of application, which means if you need to replace certain bulbs or elements, that specific type might not still be around when you need it; even the manufacturer might be gone. It a fast-paced industry at the moment, and a some of the players are going to be left behind,
    just like electronics tech. Halogen enlarger bulbs, by contrast, have been standardized for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The problem with LED's isn't their cumulative light output, but the imprecision of the key colors.
    Drew, if you use CRI 98 type LEDs you probably would have a high quality light source:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article-2013november-LEDs-offer-efficient-color-fig3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	179370

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imgres.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	179371

Drew, I also wondered about spectral purity and initially rejected the option due to my concerns in that respect. However, I later figured that decent results may be achievable, but that it requires some testing to see if it'll work. Again, an open question, but it may just work.

Pere, your option of a high CRI led source would also be an option if it is combined with dichroic filters. That's another option I consider.