Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Velvia or Provia for portraits?

Fuji Velvia or Provia for portraits?

I will be picking up both plus Extar 100 and Portra 160. Curious which slide film for natural light portraits. I also use for landscapes. 4x5 camera.

Re: Fuji Velvia or Provia for portraits?

Velvia for portraits especially of Caucasian skin is not a huge success in my opinion. People tend to look like they spent a particularly grizzly holiday in chernobyl. Better stick with provia and portra for this purpose.

Provia if you must use slide film for portraits, but Portra is my favorite color film for people.

Ok. I have some of each. Is it just velvia slide film in general no good for portraits? It has been 15 years since took portraits with any film so I don't recall info on slide film. I do remember slide film giving that wet saturated color look to everything. Like looking at a glass picture.

Portra film was designed for portraiture. It renders skin tones very nicely. Run an A-B-C-D comparison and see which you like better.

I am planning a comparison. It does look like the slide film will need possibly a warming filter. Most of what I found is people like the Provia over the Velvia. Portra is a given, but also has uses as a landscape film from some of the reviews I have read.

+1 on Provia. I still have 100 sheets of it in 5 x 7 in the freezer. When it's gone it's gone

People portrayed with Velvia, specially the 50, looks like they have been inside a microwave owen.

A good slide film for portraits was Astia, perhaps, but it was discontinued. With Provia we have a neutral film that can be good for portraits, but it hasn't an special spectral interpretation for portraits like Portra or Fuji 160 negative films.

So the good choice you have today is Provia, perhaps you may experiment with some mild filtration to obtain what you want.

In theory color films that are portrait oriented have lower saturation, lower contrast and some spectral interpretation that enhances skin hue separations and IMHO some shift to deliver a less brown and a more pinky skin. If you see the Ektar vs Portra datasheets you will find the color curves are quite different...

Interesting. I am currently working on a photo of my son shot on Provia 100F. One thing I noticed is that it is on the cool side. You can also see this in the histogram with blue histogram being amplified. He was shot in shade about 4 in the afternoon all natural light, no reflectors or anything. Strongly lit background. I even noticed blue shift in bright sunlight, did not notice that with digital or 35mm film back in the day that I remember.

I do have a Tiffen 812 and 81B filter on the way to see how they will work. Looks like Provia for slide and Portra for color reversal. Not sure yet on b/w yet. I tried Ilford D100 and going to try Tmax 100 and Fuji Acros 100. I have 60 sheets and looking for more. There are others for sure out there so bw will be a harder challenge to find a for portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    was shot in shade about 4 in the afternoon all natural light,
    In that case a lot of light came from blue sky, so blue histo expansion is due to the effective color temperature...

I've not tested it yet, but I'd like see how the Hoya Portrait filter works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOY-S-INTENS-PORTRAIT-T-CURVES.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	178588

https://hoyafilterusa.com/product/hoya-portrait/

"The Hoya Portrait filter is a subtle didymium filter who’s glass has been formulated to enhance pink and reduces both yellow and orange to make human skin tones more vivid and clear. Combination use with HD3 UV (0) is ideal when shooting under fine blue skies...."