Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Labor Day weekend shooting in the back yard

Labor Day weekend shooting in the back yard

It is time to plan the festivities for yet another Labor Day long weekend.

I have been watching the misery in the South on television this week whilst at home with my wife, taking the week off.

I have also seen the news reports indicating that the increased gasoline prices are the oil companies’ method for discouraging potential customers while they try to figure out how to produce more.

The warning speech from our President this afternoon was, “If you don’t need gasoline, don’t buy it”.

Having lived through the oil embargos of the 1970's I can tell you that waiting in line for hours and then engaging in a fistfight just to get the two-gallon limit of gas is unpleasant. Especially for those of you who now commute half way across the state to work every day.

High prices don’t begin to compare with shortages.

So perhaps the real patriotic thing to do this Labor Day vacation weekend is to sit in the back yard and be thankful we still have one. For those in apartments may I recommend the local park.

I couldn’t believe that blonde twit on the Weather Channel this afternoon, trying to drum up enthusiasm for a nice long road trip to the beach on Saturday.

This would be an excellent time to do landscapes of our own land behind the house. I would be too embarrassed to join those merrymakers on the interstate who are exacerbating the problem.

Let’s all raise our plastic glasses of iced tea in a salute to aluminum chairs and Kingsford charcoal.

And of course, a prayer for and a donation to our fellow citizens would very much be in order.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

A wonderful thought, John. Pauls Strand and Caponigro, after photographing in far corners of the world, returned to their own familiar backyards to do some of their strongest work. Now is a most apropos time for us to consider the same...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I'll certainly be traveling to any locations I'm shooting at on Labor Day on foot or in my usual vehicle.

My "escape" this weekend will be a walk around the nearest Audubon sanctuary, 11 minutes away by car.

Wonderful suggestion John!
    Before Katrina hit this area, this is what my backyard looked like:

I think I'll buy some cut flowers to shoot over Labor Day on my patio.

Have a good one,

Absolutely! Use this as an exscuse to "increase your vision" by finding compelling compositions within walking distance of your home. Got a bike? Use it! You'll get some exercise and enjoy the slower pace and you might even see new things; Things that were always there but you missed because you were wizzing by in your car. Don't have a bike? Get one! In every town I've ever lived in, there was always a house with a row of bikes for sale out front - usually lovingly repaired by some retiree who's just trying to drum up a little extra income.

Every little thing we can do to help will add up - thanks for doing your part

What do these little rants have to do with Large Format Photography?

I have to work this weekend. Some one sent me a lens to work on and said that he wants me to bench test the lens. I asked what he meant and the reply “test it and make sure it works properly you know the type of work I like”. Fine why not. Always wanted to test the Cooke convertible lens. I’ll just walk across the road and on down to the beaver pond. Yes I love my back yard. Photograph it all the time. Some of my best work are the one offs I do around the house.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

"What do these little rants have to do with Large Format Photography?"

I think most of us would like to think our work, if not doing something positive for our own psyches and for the world, at least has little negative impact. John's suggestion is a reminder that at this point in time, preserving resources, even a little bit from each of us, at least minimizes the negative. And that the mindset acquired from traffic, crowds, and the cost of gas may not be the most conducive to creativity, (though the creative language may be flowing...)

I for one appreciate the thought, the opportunity, and the challenge. There's more to us than discussions of lens histories and developer formulas, I hope...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

>I for one appreciate the thought, the opportunity, and the challenge (Mark Sawyer)

Ditto.

I'm old enough to remember the gas lines of the 70's - but they didn't bother me, because at that time I
    didn't own a car, and walked everywhere (or took a bus for longer trips). (A quote from Steven Wright: "Everywhere
    is within walking distance - if you have time.")

I still have 4 sheets unexposed from shooting last weekend. Now to find worthwhile ways to expose them....

-Bill H.