Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm f5.6

Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm f5.6

Says it has an image circle of 166mm@f/22. I would be using this on a 4x5. It obviously would not provide for any type of movement thereby turning the camera into a straight up basic camera, but with a really wide field of view for 47mm. What I am wondering about is distortion and if the image circle listed is correct, how much worse it would get at wider f/stop or if it would be visible after stopping down. I think, but not for sure I would want to use a center filter with this lens to help the vignetting. This lens would have a field of view approximately of a 107 degrees. This would be a 3 frame pano shot horizontally at 45mm for my 5DMKIII, (4 frame if shot in portrait mode) Same field of view on my 35mm set up would be a lens around 13mm (lots of distortion and little detail for landscapes and architecture)

Anyway, anyone with any experience using this lens and its capabilities/pitfalls or an equivalent lens in this range for use on 4x5. Movement not required as long as it covers the frame fully, but welcome if possible. I haven't seen any that I know of except for this one so far.

Re: Schneider Super Angulon XL 47mm f5.6

Schneider's specification is 96 degrees coverage and 110mm image circle at full aperture, 120 degrees coverage and 166mm image circle at f/22.

Linear distortion is very well corrected for such an extreme wide - generally less than 0.5% - but of course apparent stretching of peripheral objects in the field - what many people mean by "distortion" - will be as extreme as the extraordinary field of view.

Desperately needs a center filter unless you want obvious vignetting as a special effect.

There is no other lens this wide for 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    44/5.6 Super Aviogon. I've dandled one on my knee. Practically speaking, unobtainable so practically speaking you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    44/5.6 Super Aviogon. I've dandled one on my knee. Practically speaking, unobtainable so practically speaking you're right.
    Thank you! A quick search reveals that Michael Fatali offered one from his "lens vault" a couple of years ago, for $4,995; can't tell if it sold.

I have a Super Angulon 47 XL on a Cambo Wide and a Center filter. This is a fantastic camera for interiors and I have used up to 12 mm shift stoping down to f22. I had also intended to photograph the landscape with it, but the 47 mm is way too wide for the views I am interestet in.

5k is a bit much. I do like the idea of the 47mm, and rarely shoot wide open, so f/22 would be my max, unless going for the vignetting effect. Center filter will be used then for sure. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Schneider's specification is 96 degrees coverage and 110mm image circle at full aperture, 120 degrees coverage and 166mm image circle at f/22.

Linear distortion is very well corrected for such an extreme wide - generally less than 0.5% - but of course apparent stretching of peripheral objects in the field - what many people mean by "distortion" - will be as extreme as the extraordinary field of view.

Desperately needs a center filter unless you want obvious vignetting as a special effect.

I was looking at a reference document put out by BH so didn't see the small image circle wide open (wasn't listed), good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Dangled?

Agreed, it has about 12mm of shift (I have one on a Cambo wide also). Center filter (the correct one, IIIC I think?) is a must, really. It requires an additional 2 stops of exposure as well, when using it. It's nearly impossible to focus, even w/o the CF. Your only hope really is to focus it in the center and recompose if necessary, it's basically black in the corners on the ground glass.

Sounds like it is gonna require some skill and judgment to use. Anyone have an image or two they could share they took with this lens?