Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay misadventure

Ebay misadventure

I just wanted to let the group know about my Ebay misadventure, which is embarrassing to admit-but everyone can benefit from our collective mistakes. Nothing illegal mind you, but a purchase 'error'. I collect books and pamphlets on Weston, Ansel Adams, Strand and other photographers. I found a brochure on Strand on Ebay about 2 months ago I had never seen before, and bought it for a final price of 20 dollars. I assumed it was a somewhat rare item since I had not seen it before. Two weeks later I was at the Getty in L.A., and attended the Strand exhibit, and sure enough the FREE ctalogue that they give out (unlimited supply) was the one I bought. Anyway, it was my fault for not reading the fine print or asking more questions.

I did send the seller a note and said you really should have mentioned this is a free item that is currently available. The reason I mention it here is because sure enough, the same seller has the same Strand catalogue on Ebay again for sale in the Large format section. It does say 2005 catalogue, but just thought everyone should know it is also a free catalogue.

Ebay misadventure

Could you have gotten the same brochure in any other way?

Ebay misadventure

yes I agree that you pay something you can get for free... BUT... how about for someone who live in New York or Europe.. or elsewhere...? 20 bucks for a nice catalogs ....

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Ebay misadventure

At least you get a printed brochure - unlike the seller who would email you a pdf which is available free on the Schneider Kreuznach site...

Ebay misadventure

caveat emptor!

Ebay misadventure

$20 for an Ebay "misadventure" is about as good as it gets - and you got "something"....

Ebay misadventure

I recently jumped at a Linhof (style) 58mm-150mm Viewer, the newer type. Of course, the name "Linhof" screamed at me, and I didn't notice the word (style). It was a mere $125, what a steal! Well, at least I received the item. But, Linhof quality it wasn't.

I'm not complaining too much, though. It'll be useful, and I would have never forked over the $800 or so it costs to get the real thing. It does point out the need to carefully read every aspect of an EBay auction.

Ebay misadventure

Here in EU there is also sometimes tricky what they sell. But the newest one was a austria guy who send me an email short after a auction wich I was the looser for a Sinar Filter and he told me just 2 minutes after auction hey sir I have exatly the same Filter and 2 more of them if I would be interested and buy it from him for my last bieding amount per filter.
    First I was happy to get it very fast but then I felt unsure because I did'nt know thad guy. So I asked him to put it on ebay so I have some chance to get it really but it did not came up on ebay so he just wanted my money!

Ebay misadventure

I like the $20 Linhof brochure that Bobh will send you for free. They are printed beautifully.

Ebay misadventure

not trying to plead for Ebay sellers, but the guy is trying to make you pay for your time getting stuck in LA traffic, gas, pay addmission fee to get the catalog, or at least the cost of membership fee.....