Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying the 12x20

Carrying the 12x20

I usually store my Folmer & Schwing 12x20 in a case made, I believe, by Alan Brubaker. For some reason I had thought that he used ABS plastic for his cases, but this one feels like it's made of plywood. It is well-made and secure, but it is heavy. And when it gets a 12x20 camera in it, it's that much heavier. So, thinking it would be nice to have a means of carrying the camera short distances, i started to look about and found a log carrier from L.L. Bean, made of a vinyl-backed canvas-type material. Being made to carry pieces of trees, it is strong. The handle straps go completely around the body of the bag. The length of the bag is 23 1/2 inches. My camera measures 22 inches across the back. Two brass focusing knobs, 1 each side, add 1 inch each to bring that total dimension to 24 inches. So I'm half an inch over on the large dimension. But as the bag is fabric, it flexes nicely to allow all of my camera in. The width of the camera is about 6 inches; the bag 12 inches. So there is room for a couple of film holders, too. I can fit three in a pinch, but it makes grabbing the handles more difficult. In fact, that's my only complaint: I wish the handle straps were just a few inches longer to give better purchase on the handle.
    Weight of the hard case was 21 pounds empty. Weight of the camera kit in the log carrier with one film holder, dark hood and my homemade tripod block is 28 pounds.
    The difference is that with the hard case I'd have to set it down by 20 feet from my car, maybe less. With this I can make it across the parking lot before I collapse of exhaustion. But at least when I do set it down the polyester canvas keeps out dirt and moisture. Of course, padding is minimal to non-existent, so care is needed. I have thoughts of making a padded insert for the bottom of the bag out of rigid foam insulation bonded to closed-cell foam material like a camping pad. But I need to find someone who can lengthen those handles first.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4272...trValue_1=Bark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folmerlogcarrier.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	178281

Still contemplating the jogging stroller solution. But that costs more than 40 bucks.

Re: Carrying the 12x20

Very nice. That looks like a handy bag. I've been using a canoe pack for carrying 12x20 holders (4) and just have the camera in hand. It would be nice to have something like this to protect the camera when setting it down.

Hi Karl, Let me re-iterate that although the handles do go around the bag to support the load, the bag itself is only one layer of material, so adding some kind of a floor to the bag would help protect the camera from hard surfaces.
    W

You may look at Gator bags from sweet-water online. It has different size bags for music instruments.

I would definitely look at some kind of wheeled solution. I'm sure you could find a used stroller on craigslist and modify it's person carrier into a camera carrier.

Note last line of OP.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    You may look at Gator bags from sweet-water online. It has different size bags for music instruments.
    B&H also carries these. I put foam on the bottom of the bag for extra insulation on my 11x14 bag. L

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/M...8/N/3992462174

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    . But I need to find someone who can lengthen those handles first.
    You can lengthen them yourself quite easily. Just add another pair of handles, made DIY, on the pair of the old ones, best at their base.

Lachlan 717

I’d look for an XL pizza delivery bag. The type the guys wear like backpacks.

Pretty sure they’ll come in 24x24” sizing, and will be insulated.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I’ve been contemplating one of these for my Korona 12x20 and wonder if anyone has tried it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ND...1VL&ref=plSrch