Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Visiting disaster sites

Visiting disaster sites

Sorry, I hate screwing up profound statemenets

The purpose of the images is clear.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Visiting disaster sites

I had decided to not post anymore on this subject as regretfully it had strayed a bit into something else. There is a danger of seeming to take oneself too seriously, and pontificating from a high horse in a self-serving manner. But I just want to say that John Flavell's comment is very appreciated. Fact is, the best photojournalists do not take themselves seriously. They do take the work seriously, though. There is an incredible responsibility and gravity when one is faced with a situation where people are dying and you are being implored to bear witness and communicate it to others. Unless you have faced this it can never be explained. I read of many young photographers eager to get to the area who see this as a chance to make great images that will boost their careers. I guarantee you this: the ones who do get there will be changed. Either they continue to do it for different reasons or they are so shattered by the reality they have seen that they do something else in photography. That is why there is truly only a small cadre of photographers who document conflicts in the world. It culls the ranks by attrition.

On the other hand, go for it, Frank, if you feel compelled. Just be aware of what you are going into. Perhaps it would be more prudent to wait until things are more under control, but that is a personal decision. I believe the situation to come in the weeks and months ahead, without the fires and gunshots, will be dramatic enough where a distinct photographic record will still be welcomed by history.

Visiting disaster sites

> Frank, if you feel compelled. Just be aware of what you are going into.

Even in the face of orders by civilian and military officials to stay out? With a chance that you will end up in the field hospital down the street from me, displacing someone who could not get out of town? Come on folks, while I think the photojournalists are important in this because the offical message and what is really happening are so different, I hope no one else goes in because you will be a drain on the resources. Even a place to go to the bathroom is a limited resource, not to mention a drink of water.

Visiting disaster sites

I already posted that I wasn't going anytime soon, and given the developing situation it may be a LONG time before I ever go, if EVER.

I'd kind of like to be around to take pictures AFTERWARDS.

And I don't think any other non-essential people should be going there until things are under control. That includes Dan Rather, Jesse Jackson, and all the political wannabees.

Hats off to the photojournalists and aid workers already there.

Visiting disaster sites

'Those people above who are saying they don't need to see more sufferening are today seeing the results of those pictures being shown'....................................................I DON'T need to see any more suffering and pretty much have changed to the radio for updates now....................that doesn't have anything to do w/prompting these politicians and Government officials to get off that 'fat asses' and do something.

Emergency plans should've been blind to the amount of money in a persons pocket, the poor should've been accorded the means to get out of town particularly since they didn't have the means of the rich, the point is why do these folks need to be shamed into doing something after the fact, they should've been doing something for these folks before Katrina hit.

Place the Hurrican aside, all these folks were told to go to the Superdome, and for 4 days nobody does anything while they drop like flies? That's criminal, the babies that died of dehydration in the Superdome didn't shoot at anybody, why let them die because somebody else did? People shooting at folks didn't stop 'em from staying in and supposedly helping Iraq?????????????
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Visiting disaster sites

Johnathan, from listening to people that were still residing in New Orleans before Katrina hit, the general evactuation order came a little late. Even with a car, it took hours to leave the city. There's only one major road through NO, and that's I-10. One fellow was saying that he had taken the back road, Hwy 90, out of the city, and he had gotten as far as Gulfport.

Nobody's ever evactuated a major city before. From what it looks like, an effective evacuation would have to start a week prior.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans