Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polarizer for 150mm SS XL with CF

Polarizer for 150mm SS XL with CF

I need a polarizer (and some black and white filters eg yellow, orange) that are compatible with the IVa center filter that I always use on my Schneider Super-Symmar 150mm f/5.6 XL, and my 90/5.6 SA XL.

According to BHphoto, here are the 4a CF specs:
    This filter has a front accessory thread of 112mm and uses a 115mm push-on lens cap (SCLC115).
    Let's start with the polarizing filter -- how can I find a filter this large -- and will a threaded one vignette with extreme moves? I use mostly extreme rise for architecture.

Is a glass polarizer less likely to scratch than a "plastic/acrylic" version? I am thinking that all I need in a linear polarizer, not circular.

For the filter holder, the CF is quite thin -- how can I attach it.

ps: I prefer to filters at my front lens element (not rear).

Paul
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Polarizer for 150mm SS XL with CF

112mm thread on filters is a standard size. They are available, just add $.

Once past 122mm, then inquire with the Cinema equipment folks. Some Cinema lenses have 165mm front elements with a matching matt box to boot.

Bernice

What Bernice said, except I'd add a couple more dollar signs $$$

I'm not exactly sure which center filter you have, but I'd guess the 82mm/112mm CF. The reason the front filter threads are larger than the rear is to prevent vignetting when using another filter. If you stack more filters than one on top of the CF (e.g., polarizer plus yellow, etc.), you might vignette when using extreme movements. It's easy to check by looking back through the lens at the taking aperture and making sure all four corners of the ground glass are visible.

Unless you have a fancy through-the-lens meter or auto-focus, there's no need for a circular polarizer.

Do check out the old-favorite auction site for used possibilities. All of my filters were purchased used and in great condition. I have an assortment of B+W, Heliopan, Nikkor, Tiffen and a couple Hoya HMC. Go for coated filters if you can find them. I like the brass rings on the B+W and Heliopan filters too. Tiffen filters offer many filters that are unavailable from other companies. They are uncoated and have aluminum rings but are otherwise good quality.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    112mm thread on filters is a standard size. They are available, just add $.

Once past 122mm, then inquire with the Cinema equipment folks. Some Cinema lenses have 165mm front elements with a matching matt box to boot.

Bernice
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Yes the CF is 112mm. I appreciate the info on vignetting!
    Petroleum Oil Pics

The first solution would be a Sinar filter holder 125-2 with a 112 mm adapter ring plus a Sinar polar filter 125. This filter system was discontinued long ago, but is available second hand in the famous auction site. The problem is to find BW filters (Yellow, orange and red ones) hard to find. This system can potentialy vignete if you use the lens image circle to the limits. I have a 90 SK 90 XL, but I have not the dedicated Center Filter IV B, so I canīt be sure about vigneting when center filter is used.

The second one is a system made by Linhof Studio in England that is based on Lee Filters 150 system. This English shop sells online a special filter holder with adapters for large diameter lenses. This system has plenty of filters for BW.

You can also find a 112-145 steep up ring in the auction site and purchase a 145mm Wonderpana polarizing filter. This system made by Fotodiox has no filters for BW photography, but you can adapt filters from Formmat Hitech or Lucroit.

About the polarizer. You just need a linear one, but a circular one can do the job. Linear polarizers have a just a bit stronger efect.
    Sinar 125 polarizer is made of glass. The rest of 125 sinar filters are made of resin.

The Wonderpana polarizer is also made of glass, I have never seen a resin made polarizer for use on a lens. (I have large polarizing sheets made of gelatine for use on flash heads )

Here's an older thread with some additional ideas:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...der-150mm-SSXL

A more recent option is the Lee SW150 filter system.

Haida, Nisi, Vu, Breakthrough, lots of filter options to choose from these days.
    The newer Chinese brands are all using the Schott glass formula, and making excellent filters.
    You could get a universal 150mm filter holder and a 150mm x 150mm polarizer for under $300 from many of these companies.

Sight side track. the 150mm SS XL is just a really nice lens.

Bernice