Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scheimpflug in Practice

Re: Scheimpflug in Practice

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    The answer to that is dependent on which size of ground glass you need. Depending on size, he can do anything from a simple fresnel with high transmission coatings to whatever magic pixie dust is used to make his complete ground glass replacement wonder-screens (I'm not mocking the product, the top of the line screens are stunning). The bigger stuff only gets the simple fresnel, the smaller screens can have your choice of price-and-performance.
    Sorry, I am not sure what your point is. As I was the Linhof, Rodenstock and Wista distributor from 1980 till 2015 and before that I was with Sinar I have never heard of your point. Perhaps you have more experience then I have. BTW, I was also a commercial photographer before all that and an USAF photographer.
    So please enlighten me so I can understand your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Sorry, I am not sure what your point is. As I was the Linhof, Rodenstock and Wista distributor from 1980 till 2015 and before that I was with Sinar I have never heard of your point. Perhaps you have more experience then I have. BTW, I was also a commercial photographer before all that and an USAF photographer.
    So please enlighten me so I can understand your point.
    Yes Bob, we're all well aware of, and very tired of, your professional credentials at this point. You shove them in everyone's faces at every opportunity.

You asked as question:
    Maxwell is a fresnel? Or is it a ground glass?
    I gave you a direct answer: He makes both. Whether both options are available depends on what size you need.

Any difficulties in communication and understanding are not mine.

Yes Bob, we're all well aware of, and very tired of, your professional credentials at this point. You shove them in everyone's faces at every opportunity.

You asked as question:

I gave you a direct answer: He makes both. Whether both options are available depends on what size you need.

Good, but that was not how you originally phrased it!

You asked as question:

Visiting his web site, such as it is, shows focusing screens and not separate fresnel screens. So, exactly what does he offer? Ground glass? Fresnes? Combination sandwichs of both or systems like Beattie?

Visiting his web site, such as it is, shows focusing screens and not separate fresnel screens. So, exactly what does he offer? Ground glass? Fresnes? Combination sandwichs of both or systems like Beattie?
    Bob, I answered this already.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure your decades of experience allow you to operate a telephone and call Bill. He'll be very happy to talk to you at great length about his products.

Bob, I answered this already.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure your decades of experience allow you to operate a telephone and call Bill. He'll be very happy to talk to you at great length about his products.
    Although he is located just a few miles from me I have no interest in finding out more then he posts on his site, which is very little!

Although he is located just a few miles from me I have no interest in finding out more then he posts on his site, which is very little!
    Like so many in the LF community, Bill Maxwell is older and would rather talk to you than write for a website. Could be worse, to order things from John Coffer, you have to write a letter and include the payment in the envelope. At least Bill has a phone!

Like so many in the LF community, Bill Maxwell is older and would rather talk to you than write for a website. Could be worse, to order things from John Coffer, you have to write a letter and include the payment in the envelope. At least Bill has a phone!
    He has a web site, he could rent a junior high school student to flush it out.
    I doubt that he is much older, if at all, then me and flushing out some short paragraphs is not that time consuming but can be very economically rewarding!

I have a simple method of using tilt to bring everything on a horizontal surface into focus .Let's say I am photographing a level path and want everything from the foreground to the distant part of the path to be in focus.

1. Apply front tilt. Guess the amount.

2. Focus on the distant part of the path, which will be somewhere near the bottom of the screen.

3. Check the focus of the near part of the path, which will be somewhere near the top of the screen. Let's say it is out of focus. DO NOT TWIDDLE THE FOCUS BACK AND FORTH TO GET IT SHARP. Instead, move the focus one way only. If you need MORE extension to get the near object sharp, then you need MORE tilt. If LESS extension gets it sharp, then you need LESS tilt.

4. Re-adjust the amount of tilt accordingly, and then repeat the whole sequence until near and far objects are both in focus.

I didn't think this up for myself; I read it somewhere. It is very simple to do and works very well.

Alan

Or to put it poetically:

Focus on the far,
    And tilt towards the near.
    Then fiddle with the camera,
    Until everything is clear.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".