Thread: Ultra wide angle lens for 11x14?

Ultra wide angle lens for 11x14?

Self imposed project coming up that requires an ultra WA lens for my 11x14. OK, first comes to mind is a 90mm Hypergon lens. Aside from the price sticker shock, the optic is just too wide for me. Presently have and use a 5.9” No. 5 Gray Periscope which I had SK Grimes mount in a Copal shutter. Angle of view is great and it does indeed cover 11x14, but am looking for something just a little bit wider. Am looking for an optic of around 120mm to 130mm that covers 11x14. So far my research has ended up coming up blank.

Re: Ultra wide angle lens for 11x14?

I don't have direct experience, but I've been casually looking for a Rodenstock Pantogonal* lens for my 8x20, in the 20cm range. In my research of this lens type, I found this thread, which I dug up again:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...a-12-5cm-f1-18

This describes a 12.5cm lens that supposedly covers 11x14. Some have said the lens is a dog...but so what? I assume you are contact printing, and if so, the lens is probably good enough for that.

I have seen a couple on eBay and they definitely don't command the Hypergon premium, but they aren't going for a song either. Much rarer too (at least on eBay, probably because of their lesser-known status).

*Pantogonal, Pantagonal, Pentagonal, Pentogonal, who knows how to spell the thing (originally) but the first one seems to be the most common.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Ultra wide angle lens for 11x14?

This is the list of modern lenses: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...LF11x14in.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro