Thread: What did you make with your Frankenlens today?

What did you make with your Frankenlens today?

I've been looking at a problem child lens that sits on a shelf above my computer. It is a rebranded Voigtlander Euryscop Series IV no. 2 and inscribed as R. Walzl Baltimore. But it only had glass in one end, so kind of useless unless you want a bad 14" f13-ish half of a Rapid Rect.

I've picked it up a hundred times before and wondered about it. So, yesterday I measured the empty space and went upstairs to see what might be possible. There was a front element from a little projection petzval that was within a millimeter of being the right size, so I installed the glass in the glassless front of the Walzl / Euryscop.

Put it on the camera and I had a very nice, fast, 155mm slightly soft f4 lens with lovely bokeh. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Since it was so fast I figured I'd put it on my 4X5 Graflex Series B. Looked great but won't go in far enough to focus at infinity. So I made the pictures of my muse, la puta negra and went to work on her many salacious angles. Hand held all. 1/235th second. It'll focus at about 10 feet away and closer.

I used Kodak 4127 Commercial film and developed in my usual PyroCatechol. not a bad afternoon's work.

Show us your frankenlens work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img387s.jpg   img386s.jpg   img388s.jpg   img392s.jpg  

Re: What did you make with your Frankenlens today?

I find the last one particularly nice!

Roger

This wasn't done today, it was last week. But I finally designed and 3d printed a barrel for my cheap doublet. Its a 216mm f3.5 achromat for bulk surplus. The print is SLA and I am amazed at the quality of the threads. Screws right into my Shanel 5, no binding or roughness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180501_164320.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	178048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trip2017010236.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	178049

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I find the last one particularly nice!

Roger
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    This wasn't done today, it was last week. But I finally designed and 3d printed a barrel for my cheap doublet. Its a 216mm f3.5 achromat for bulk surplus. The print is SLA and I am amazed at the quality of the threads. Screws right into my Shanel 5, no binding or roughness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180501_164320.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	178048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trip2017010236.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	178049
    Pretty sweet. Need to get some flat black material for anti-reflection properties. You must have a pretty good printer for the threads to work that well.

Jim,apart from any of the lenses that you use, you have perfected the art of printing with a lovely glow and tonality.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Jim,apart from any of the lenses that you use, you have perfected the art of printing with a lovely glow and tonality.
    Thanks Bill! But full disclosure, I rarely get past a scan. The wet darkroom hasn't been fired up for printing in quite a while. About every 3 years I'll get on a kick and do a bunch of pt/pd, and then when that's out of my system just look at scans on the computer again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Thanks.

Pretty sweet. Need to get some flat black material for anti-reflection properties. You must have a pretty good printer for the threads to work that well.
    Painting is on the weekend docket. As for the printer, I am farmed the work out to a commercial printhouse. They have machines that I can only dream of

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    Painting is on the weekend docket. As for the printer, I am farmed the work out to a commercial printhouse. They have machines that I can only dream of
    Did you have to provide a drawing that a printer can read? How did you do the specs so the threads worked so well? Might be a viable way to get bushings for other lens into shutter projects.

I did the design myself in Fushion 360, I measured the threads using calipers and thread gauge tool. Then the rest was a bit of luck on my part, an engineer, I am not! Once I had the design done, I imported it to Mesh Mixer, that software takes in 3d CAD files and spits out files that 3d printers use. The company was able to print the adapter without any additional input from me.

I've decided that since this worked well, I'll try my hand at some more random lenses that I have that are lacking shutters. May try my hand at making some sort of quick bayonet mount system for my Shanel shutter.