Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimalist Bags for 8x10

Re: Minimalist Bags for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Yes, I use Frost River to carry my 16x20 camera plus two holders.
    Hi Hugo,
    Recommendations for carrying your (mine) 11x14 Chamonix in a backpack? Would just love to use my 11x14 in the field and not just using it from the back of my SUV.
    thanks,
    Greg

Drew Wiley

Just use a game rack. You could carry a far bigger camera than an 11X14, plus the accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    older US mfg packs were way
    better than what you can buy new today.
    If any of you decide to explore the "vintage" route, a Bozeman-era Dana like the Arcflex should be on your short list as well. Realize too that you can often mix-and-match components (e.g. hip belts, shoulder straps) from other makers if they fit you better. Otherwise, big packs that can handle a bit of weight with aplomb get spendy in a hurry--expect to pay RRS tripod prices for Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, or from custom maker Dan McHale, but for a lot of folks they're worth the premium.

Greg,

Chamonix has its 11x14 camera bag. It can hold the camera plus 2 holders and dark cloth on the bottom and light meter and lenses on the top. Very well padded, but heavy. Expensive ($400 plus shipping) as well. I had to find a heavy duty US army shoulder strap to add to the bag to use it as a backpack. 2 miles hike is my limit with this bag.

Hugo

I got a Kelty Redwing on sale at REI about six years ago. It gives decent service.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 9-May-2018 at 06:17.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Greg,

Chamonix has its 11x14 camera bag. It can hold the camera plus 2 holders and dark cloth on the bottom and light meter and lenses on the top. Very well padded, but heavy. Expensive ($400 plus shipping) as well. I had to find a heavy duty US army shoulder strap to add to the bag to use it as a backpack. 2 miles hike is my limit with this bag.

Hugo
    Thanks Hugo. Could you post a picture of the case? Currently I use a (re-configured interior) large Sinar Norma case for transporting my 11x14 Chamonix equipment. Image attached. A layer of cushioning goes atop the bottom portion of the case and above it I store holders and the WA bellows. Case has 4 metal attachments to which 2 shoulder straps are attached to. Then you can carry (per Sinar) the case on your back... In practice is totally uncomfortable and after carrying the case on my back and tripod on my shoulder, after about 200 yards question my sanity in walking any further.
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11x14case.jpg  

One of my friends at work is giving me an ALICE pack. I think that'll work out good. He said the new version of the ALICE is much better. But we'll see when I actually get it to see how much I can put in it.
    --

I uses an older model Lowepro Phototrekker(one with weird Lowepro green), it's kinda boxy compare to most other backpacks but it fits most folding 810 nicely plus a couple lenses/meter, and 3/4 film holders in the outer pocket.

It's fairly light compare to its later versions of various trekkers.

Drew Wiley

Why on earth would someone use a pack frame to carry a camera case - essentially a heavy bulky redundant suitcase, wholly unnecessary if your pack itself is logically arranged. And dedicated camera cases have "steal me" written all over them.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If you can, take your camera to a camera store and see if it will fit into a Lowepro 650AWII Trekker. From the internal dimensions you might be able to squeeze it in:
    Interior Dimensions
    14 x 8.5 x 19.6" / 35.5 x 21.5 x 49.7 cm

It looks to be 3.4" shy on one side but it may still fit as the external dimension are
    Exterior Dimensions
    21.7 x 14.4 x 24.9" / 55 x 36.6 x 63.2 cm

I use it for my Toyo 810MII, up to 4 lens, 5 film holders, dark cloth, spot meter, etc.

Thomas