Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Bags for 8x10

Minimalist Bags for 8x10

Anyone here using something along the lines of a minimalist rucksack (Frost River , Filson, Duluth) for a bag? I have been looking at the bag below but haven't seen anyone using these brands for cameras. I know there are more modern bags made for high mileage hiking and mountaineering but these bags intrigue me. I'm just curious, opinions always welcomed and appreciated.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/cano...isle-royale-jr

Re: Minimalist Bags for 8x10

Yes, I use Frost River to carry my 16x20 camera plus two holders.

I'm looking to carry a Canham JMC and three / four holders via a Photobackpacker Cascade case.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Yes, I use Frost River to carry my 16x20 camera plus two holders.
    Which model?
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    Which model?
    Terry
    Their largest one.

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/cano...ha-canoe-pack/

Drew Wiley

You could get several real packs for that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You could get several real packs for that kind of money.
    Like what? Every time I’m in REI packs all cost north of 300.

The other choice I see peoplegoing with is the F Stop Shinn with film ICU that’s like 600 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost got an Isle Royale (largest one) for summer and winter camping but put it off for now. For hauling LF, I'd prefer a pack that had a very good suspension system, esp a good waist belt. Also prefer panel load vs top drop in for accessing the camera and lenses.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Drew Wiley

Lots of people never used their pack at all, or maybe only once. Look at the auction site for 'vintage' Kelty, Jansport, or Camp Trails. Check photos and description carefully, and make sure they aren't trying to deceive you on price by adding an obscene shipping charge. Thesew older US mfg packs were way
    better than what you can buy new today. Forty bucks maybe, for something that cost $250 in the 70's. Realize that there were different sizes made too.
    You have to find the correct frame and strap fit - kids vs small vs med vs lg vs XL. Make sure the straps, hipbelt, and back mesh are in good shape, cause
    you cant find replacements anymore (though a spare pack now costs less than those components themselves originally did - I have a whole stack of packs on
    hand just for the spare parts). A couple years ago I traded a half-empty qt of varnish for a brand new domestic Kelty that had been in someone's closet the entire time, entirely unused, at a local garage sale. Dedicated camera packs have a lot of redundant heavy padding. Just use bubble wrap. Don't think you're
    getting something better from a camera store. For 8x10 you need something more serious; but that doesn't mean it will weigh more - probably less!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Almost got an Isle Royale (largest one) for summer and winter camping but put it off for now. For hauling LF, I'd prefer a pack that had a very good suspension system, esp a good waist belt. Also prefer panel load vs top drop in for accessing the camera and lenses.
    I picked a JR up today ... I’ll see how it fits, at least I can return if it doesn’t seem to work. I don’t mind too load if the only thing in that section is a camera and holders.

I have a top loader for my 4x5 and it’s a nightmare with the camera case, 3 lens wrapped, and holders. I’m constantly digging through crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk