Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Workshop May 18, 19 and 20, 2018. PhotoCentral, Hayward, CA

Carbon Workshop May 18, 19 and 20, 2018. PhotoCentral, Hayward, CA

Short notice, but there are still two spaces left in the Carbon Printing Workshop I am giving at PhotoCentral in Hayward, CA (east San Francisco Bay Area). Participants will be working with inkjet negatives from files they provide. The digitally created/printed negatives will be made at the workshop by John Thacker and crew at PhotoCentral.

I am more than willing to work with people preferring to bring in-camera negatives (up to 8x10), but a large DR is recommended...about 2.5 or more, if possible.

The workshop is designed to get participants working with, and understanding, the basic carbon printing process...and making prints.

Registration here: https://online.activenetwork.com/hay...sAdvSearch.asp

Click on "Adult", then "Photography" on the drop-down menu...scroll down to the Carbon Workshop. The facilities are excellent, with modifications made to the facilities specially for teaching alt processes.

PS...I am actually co-leading the workshop with John Thacker. Sometimes it takes a (retired) rocket scientist (and great photographer/printer) to figure out the digital end of things!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Re: Carbon Workshop May 18, 19 and 20, 2018. PhotoCentral, Hayward, CA

Vaughn wish I could go but I’m working that weekend! Best of luck!!

Signed up, this will be my second workshop, the first one was excellent. Maybe I'll have some in camera negs this time. Although John's digital negatives are excellent.

There's still one slot left!!!

Roger

That's great, Roger! In the last workshop, John created a curve for use with an inkjet printer that used only black inks. This time he'll be using a curve generated for use by a full-color printer...with the idea that after the workshop, participants are more likely to be able to make their own negatives at home since few dedicate a printer to all black inks.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That's great, Roger! In the last workshop, John created a curve for use with an inkjet printer that used only black inks. This time he'll be using a curve generated for use by a full-color printer...with the idea that after the workshop, participants are more likely to be able to make their own negatives at home since few dedicate a printer to all black inks.
    How is the facilities for a Alternative Workshop, does Geir have a plate burner there, and is there room to move around?

I'm wondering if I have an in camera negative that I silver print at grade 1, how hard it would be to carbon print?

Roger

Roger -- we should be able to pull a good print from that negative.

Bob -- there is a 10K UV lamp (I'm trying to remember the name of it -- starts with an 'O" -- has timer/integrator) mounted over a large vacuum frame in a separate room. Can easily do 4 9"x12" prints at a time -- do not have the exact measurements. The vacuum frame is actually the top of a large flip-top plate burner that we are just using for the frame. I have given workshops there for up to 8 participants, plus several volunteers -- enough room for all of us.

Darkroom/dimroom itself is large -- two full-size sinks in the middle of the room (can walk all around them), plenty of workspace outside the dimroom also. I'll have to take some photos of the facility when I am down there next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Roger -- we should be able to pull a good print from that negative.

Bob -- there is a 10K UV lamp (I'm trying to remember the name of it -- starts with an 'O" -- has timer/integrator) mounted over a large vacuum frame in a separate room. Can easily do 4 9"x12" prints at a time -- do not have the exact measurements. The vacuum frame is actually the top of a large flip-top plate burner that we are just using for the frame. I have given workshops there for up to 8 participants, plus several volunteers -- enough room for all of us.

Darkroom/dimroom itself is large -- two full-size sinks in the middle of the room (can walk all around them), plenty of workspace outside the dimroom also. I'll have to take some photos of the facility when I am down there next week!
    Hi Vaughn

I would really appreciate some pictures as we are working on a show in a gallery in SF for next march april for a couple of my clients, and if I can talk Geir into letting me do a gum over pd workshop it would pay for me to get out there with the show. My people were just in Hayward and they loved Geir and his wife, basically saying they were fantastic so I think I need to go west young man.

thanks in Advance

Bob

They also have a large BL tube exposure unit. Both Geir and Kate are incredible people and photographic artists (and book creators/editors). Creating and maintaining the growth of PhotoCentral has been a labor of love for both of them for the past 35 years.

Heading West is always a positive (I had a wonderful trip in Japan last December!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails West.jpg  

My wife and I did a 26 day West trip to Silver Conference then up to your Hayward area, then booted home.. It was fantastic, I am hoping to repeat this next year as a gift to my wife and I for slugging it out here running the gallery and print/frame shop.

I will keep you posted on our talks with Geir.
    Bob