Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

Re: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Here's a very thorough ball head round-up from a couple of years ago: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/bat...l-heads-tested

Contact me by email if you have any questions about the FLM ball head; I've used them with 8x10 and smaller for five years.
    Rock-solid, with the tilt lock feature, adds up to a very stable, easily repeatable support system.
    Sorry but this is not a thorough tease. It is a test, apparently, of what was available in whatever country the theater was living in! For instance, no mention that the Novoflex Classic Ball 3 is supplied with a fully automatic locking, Arca style QR, no mention of that type of release even being available and that release predates the Q release that was tested!
    No mention of the Large Giottos ball head that is available with an Arca style QR! No mention of the Linhof Profi 3 which accepts any type QR and today is available with an Arca type!
    And, please bear in mind, Ari is the North American distributor for FLM, just as I, until early 2015, was the distributor for Linhof, Novoflex, Berlebach and Giottos.

I've had my 8 x 10 Kardan Bi on the Arca Monoball and it was very stable. But you do have to be careful to control the camera while adjusting it or mounting/un-mounting. Things can be get quite "interesting" quite quickly if it slips away from you. Don't ask how I know!!! I also have an FLM head (not the largest, though) that works fine with my Seneca 8 x 10 - not sure I'd put anything much heavier on it though.

Bob, everybody nitpicks that review but the tester, who is in the US, made use of everything that was available to him at the time; further, he used some good, quantifiable scientific methods to check various ball head parameters.
    I make no secret about being the FLM distributor, but I also happen to be a user of the gear in my capacity as a working photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Bob, everybody nitpicks that review but the tester, who is in the US, made use of everything that was available to him at the time; further, he used some good, quantifiable scientific methods to check various ball head parameters.
    I make no secret about being the FLM distributor, but I also happen to be a user of the gear in my capacity as a working photographer.
    Ari, since we were the distributor then he didn’t make use of everything available in the USA then nor can I ever remember his asking me about what was available.
    And I also use things we sold like Profi heads and Novoflex QR on Linhof tripods, even though I retired from HP when the company closed in 15.

Drew Wiley

Ballheads are the root of all evil when it comes to 8x10. They make absolutely no sense. The laws of physics are hard to repeal. Might be suitable for a trailer hitch.

Well, Drew, I'm not sure about that. Yeah, a big monorail on one doesn't sound like fun, but something like an 8x10 Chamonix, being light and having a large base to grip, might not be bad. I've used 4x5 field cameras on an Arca B1 without major problems. I briefly use an FLM head with a Kodak D2 8x10, and the special tilt function worked fine. But I thought that you don't even use a head?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Giottos MH3000 - Strong enough for a 600mm lens on a DSLR it will hold your 8x10 and is overkill for my 4x5. I also use a video quick release system which is broader and longer than the tiny camera QR systems, and mounted to a Bogen 3021BN tripod. total weight about 10 pounds and I can hike about 5 miles with it (some days).
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    I thought I also going to consult the wise forum before making a decision and ask for your opinions.

I am a fan of ballheads and soon will have my first 8x10 arriving.
    As for my 4x5 my old Hama 60mm ball and my smaller Manfrotto 498 have been trusted tools.
    But even though the tight ball are pretty good, I felt that the losen up is a bit careful to control otherwise gets too lose too quickly.

But as I want to keep using a ballhead, I feel a new version stronger one must be acquired.

Now is the question which one it should be.
    I have narrowed it down to 3 models looking at other threads to similar topics:
    Arca Swiss Monoball Z1, Gitzo GH5381SQD or FLM Centerball 58 FT.

They all look very good and sturdy to me but I have difficulties to decide which one is best for my purpose.
    Most important is the elimination of above described challenge; I want to be able to adjust the view by loosening the ball a bit and have enough friction to control the movements without any risk of slamming down the camera.

My total weight will be around 10 KG.

Price range used should be around 300-400 $.
    Weight is for all similar, so 100-200 grams difference is not an issue.

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks a lot and best regards, Miguel
    You are going to hear that ball heads are terrible for LF. However, I have been using my trusty Arca Swiss B1 (I'm guessing the predecessor to Z1) for close to 17 years now and it has performed flawlessly. I guess I don't have the problems adjusting that many others purport to have, and I use it with my 8x10 cameras - Ebony and Chamonix. It is stable, easy to adjust, and simply works. If you are comfortable with a ball head, then by all means use one. I have not used the other mentioned in your post so I am not qualified on talking about them. And as a side note, I have been traveling and using my 8x10s for at least 10 to 12 weeks a year, so I am not a "once in a while" user.
    Last edited by Jim Becia; 7-May-2018 at 14:00.

Dear forum friends,

Thanks a lot for all your comments and recommendations.
    I did not expect to receive so many inputs.
    As I learned from all of you, of course there is a big controversy about the question if a tripod in general is reasonable for LF but as I have written in my starting explanation I prefer the ball heads and will definitely give it a try.
    If I wanted to afford it, I might also consider a kind of Arca Cube maybe in the future but I do not like the 3 way heads with the sticks.

But I am very happy I received so many new ball heads suggestions I did not know before and was able to review them and make up my own mind.
    So you all helped me a lot.

Nevertheless it seems now to me, that after seeing all the other ball heads, my favourite ones are still the Arca and the LFM.
    The Gitzo will probably be not in the consideration anymore.
    The tendency goes slightly to the LFM mainly because of the tilt function.
    Of course best would be I could go to shop and try them but this option is limited and I also do not like to abuse the shop and buy later online.
    In the second hand online website I frequently use is one LFM for sale. I think I am going to contact the seller and see if we can find a deal.

Thanks again to everybody for your insights and useful information.

Miguel

Dear forum friends,

After I now tried out in total 3 ballheads; the area b1, an old Hama 60mm and the FLM.
    Now my experience is that the Arca is already having problems with my 4x5 as well as the Hama.
    They are both strong enough to hold the weight easily but also go too loose to quick when you want to move.
    The FLM is for me definitely the best of them all holding the weight with ease but also let me release the friction in a very controlled way and the 8x10 Deardorff is a pleasure to use with it. Standing on the Berlebach it is an ideal combo.
    Thanks a lot for all of your contributions letting me find out the most suitable ballheads and the right one for my usage as well!

Miguel