Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

I thought I also going to consult the wise forum before making a decision and ask for your opinions.

I am a fan of ballheads and soon will have my first 8x10 arriving.
    As for my 4x5 my old Hama 60mm ball and my smaller Manfrotto 498 have been trusted tools.
    But even though the tight ball are pretty good, I felt that the losen up is a bit careful to control otherwise gets too lose too quickly.

But as I want to keep using a ballhead, I feel a new version stronger one must be acquired.

Now is the question which one it should be.
    I have narrowed it down to 3 models looking at other threads to similar topics:
    Arca Swiss Monoball Z1, Gitzo GH5381SQD or FLM Centerball 58 FT.

They all look very good and sturdy to me but I have difficulties to decide which one is best for my purpose.
    Most important is the elimination of above described challenge; I want to be able to adjust the view by loosening the ball a bit and have enough friction to control the movements without any risk of slamming down the camera.

My total weight will be around 10 KG.

Price range used should be around 300-400 $.
    Weight is for all similar, so 100-200 grams difference is not an issue.

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks a lot and best regards, Miguel

Re: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

Novoflex large Classic Ball or the Linhof Large bullhead.
    There are lots of better ball heads you haven’t considered yet!

Thanks Bob.
    These also look quite good.
    May I ask in which way they are better than the three I have pre-selected?
    From the advertised maximum weight it looks like they could carry less but maybe for the other ones it is only overpromised and for the Linhof and Novoflex underpromised?

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    Thanks Bob.
    These also look quite good.
    May I ask in which way they are better than the three I have pre-selected?
    From the advertised maximum weight it looks like they could carry less but maybe for the other ones it is only overpromised and for the Linhof and Novoflex underpromised?
    You really have to find out how the maximum capacity was arrived at. With that weight at a, say, 45 degree angle for a period of extended time, perhaps at the end of an extension, or just by putting the weight directly on top of the head?

The Novoflex has easily selected pre set tension adjustments that are user adjustable, if desired!

I was looking at ball heads a while ago and in all of my geeking discovered that some are made with balls that aren't quite round. This encourages the camera to stay upright, increasing the friction as the ball tilts within the housing. It seemed like a great feature to me, especially for a camera that's mostly used upright (i.e., LF as opposed to 35mm) but I don't see this spec listed too often. Maybe the "good" heads assume it? I sure would like a list! Vanguard calls it "semi-elliptical".

I never liked ball heads for small cameras, but I'm getting a lot of pleasure out of a $25 Ebay one under my 8x10 Intrepid, and am thinking of upgrading.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Personally, I found a ballhead for 8x10 unusable in that it’s hard to get the camera set exactly how you want it; horizontal and tilt orientation. I found that if I had the tension control loose enough to allow easy movement of the camera, then it would “flop” toward the angle, and if tight enough to hold the camera more securely, then it was difficult to move. I returned to a good ‘ole pan/tilt head and I’ve been very happy with that.

Anyway, another ballhead you may wish to research is the Really Right Stuff BH-55.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Personally, I found a ballhead for 8x10 unusable in that it’s hard to get the camera set exactly how you want it; horizontal and tilt orientation. I found that if I had the tension control loose enough to allow easy movement of the camera, then it would “flop” toward the angle, and if tight enough to hold the camera more securely, then it was difficult to move. I returned to a good ‘ole pan/tilt head and I’ve been very happy with that.

Anyway, another ballhead you may wish to research is the Really Right Stuff BH-55.
    A leveling head is probably the best choice. Especially 3 way ones.

I have used both the Arca Swiss and the FLM and both will do the job perfectly well. (As will the other choices I am sure) The FLM does offer a one way tilt option as well which can be of additional use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A leveling head is probably the best choice. Especially 3 way ones.
    Hi Bob,

Yeah, I bought a Gitzo G1570M head for 8x10 and I've been much happier working with that head. It sits on top of a carbon fiber surveyors style tripod and the whole setup is light and easy to carry over great distances. My Ries A100 tripod is great, too, but that sucker is HEAVY!

Here's a very thorough ball head round-up from a couple of years ago: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/bat...l-heads-tested

Contact me by email if you have any questions about the FLM ball head; I've used them with 8x10 and smaller for five years.
    Rock-solid, with the tilt lock feature, adds up to a very stable, easily repeatable support system.