Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

Les

Re: Another ballhead for 8x10 question/ comparison thread

It's all relative. I happen to have the Z1, which is rated at 130lbs. It's a solid performer whether I use 5x7 (even at an angle) or Nikkor 400/3.5 + body. No idea how it will react on 8x10. Not able to comment on any other ball heads. However, if you adjust and center the camera/lens gravity, you probably could make a cheaper support to cooperate with your demands.

Overall, it's rather frustrating and counter productive to have the head slip on you (when it's in locked position) or somehow disengages and the camera tumbles down the canyon (or wherever). Anyway, appropriate tripod technique is essential prior to installing the camera....even a smaller one. Most of us (here) may be diligent about it but accidents do happen.

Les

Views You Can Use

I put the biggest lens I have on a Deardorff and on a tripod, tilted down. This was the only head I have that held without slipping or movement. You normally wouldn't want to do that, but if you'r'e minimizing weight for a trip it weighs 1 lb 9 oz. Gitzo GH3382QD Series 3 Center Ball Head. Designed in France made in Italy, used by Germans.

https://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GH3382Q...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Last edited by Roger Beck; 16-Aug-2018 at 10:28.

For about 1/5th the price you can get a Magestic head, which is far superior and steadier. Designed in Chicago, made in the US.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

For several years now I have been using the z1-sp mounted on the center plate of a Gitzo G1347 for the Toyo 810MII with no problems - at least since I solved the problems of using the Arca quick release with the Toyo. The Arca easily and securely holds the weight of the camera regardless of the lens or extension (starting with a balanced tripod is essential) and the Toyo front standard locks firmly with no drift regardless of the lens weight. I've even used the Arca for a time with the Toyo 810G but switched to a 3-way head for the G. A 3-way head is better for the 8x10 but I want to use the same tripod and head for the MII as I use with the 4x5's and 6x7 cameras. Once mounted the Arca ball is loosened enough to center the bubbles on both standards before locking down. To unmount, I tilt the clam shell up so that it slides toward my body when I loosen the lock. The vice-like locking mechanism of the Arca is superior to other locking mechanisms which is probably why other manufactures copied the design.

Thomas

I never thought a ball head would be a good match for a large format view camera, but maybe I need to rethink that. I've always used pan/tilt heads for my 4x5 and larger cameras. Seems like a view camera would be in pretty precarious position on top of a ball head, especially if you forgot to tighten a knob or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I never thought a ball head would be a good match for a large format view camera, but maybe I need to rethink that. I've always used pan/tilt heads for my 4x5 and larger cameras. Seems like a view camera would be in pretty precarious position on top of a ball head, especially if you forgot to tighten a knob or something.
    I think your initial assertion is accurate. Why I use either Ries or Majestic heads for 45, 57, 810 & 1114.

Drew Wiley

It might as well be resting atop a slippery bald head as a wobbly ball head.