Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you experience your GG?

Re: How do you experience your GG?

I just try to keep from lopping the models hands or feet off

I've been using a Nikon 7x loupe for focusing that I like. I began with a cheap loupe years ago and then bought a Schneider 4x aspheric loupe that was a revelation for me. But by comparison, I like the added magnification of the Nikon.

Being retired, I need glasses for composing the image on the g.g. So, I buy two pair of drug store glasses, one for the left eye and one for the right. (Each selected for best focus at 11 inches.) Then, I swap lenses so that viewing is corrected for both eyes. Works great. TOTAL: $20!

As for Arca g.g. and Fresnel, it's their g.g. and their Fresnel. So, they've machined tolerances on the back to correct for the change in focus that occurs with their placement of the Fresnel. (Between g.g. and lens.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    I just try to keep from lopping the models hands or feet off

There's a funny story about the photographer who was (is?) in charge of the Ansel Adams trust. He'd taken a photograph of a model in a flowing dress that had become well-known. As the image gained notoriety, the model complained more and more that she should be paid additional money.

Finally, he cut off her head, and she stopped complaining.

I have never cared much for Fresnel lenses...I felt they interferred with my looking at the GG image. I used a loupe early on, but lost it and never felt the need to replace it. Being very near-sighted, I see as well without glasses as one would with a low-powered loupe (I can focus at about 4 to 5 inches from my eyes), so that works well with me. Sometime a loupe would be nice in low-light situations.

Good luck, Randy! Hope the new eyes settle in quickly!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks, Vaughn.

Like you I WAS very nearsighted and could focus very well at 3". No longer. Now I am backwards, I see better at 10 ft and can drive in daylight with 20/40. But have to put glasses on where I always took them off. Then I forget they are on and wander off in a blur. 60 year habits die slowly. Getting glasses at age 7 changed my life.

Hopefully, by the end of next week, I have new goggles!

Now I am so worried about eye damage from not seeing crap coming I just mowed the lawn wearing full coverage UVEX goggles with anti-fog. I'm buying more of those. As they don't fog in this Southern Steam Forest and tree branches slide right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have never cared much for Fresnel lenses...I felt they interferred with my looking at the GG image. I used a loupe early on, but lost it and never felt the need to replace it. Being very near-sighted, I see as well without glasses as one would with a low-powered loupe (I can focus at about 4 to 5 inches from my eyes), so that works well with me. Sometime a loupe would be nice in low-light situations.

Good luck, Randy! Hope the new eyes settle in quickly!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I've been shooting LF since around 2002/4 and have gotten so use to seeing the subject upside down and reversed that I no longer even notice it – except when I need to apply shift or swing and then I need to think it out a little. Once I have found a subject and determine where to stand, I use a Linhoff Lens finder to determine the FL of the lens to use and then set-up and balance the tripod at that spot with the front leg “aimed” at the subject. Naturally the aim isn't always perfect when viewed through the GG and that's where the shift comes into play. On the Robos the shift is geared and a dream to use but on the fields its manual and when using the longer FL's on the 810 and Robos results in a back and forth between the front standard and the GG.

I have fresnel's on all of the 4x5 cameras but that wasn't always the case. My first LF camera was the Toyo 45cf which I ordered new from B&H but without the optional Fresnel. My first shot (“first light” as they say in astronomy circles) with it was overlooking a shoreline bench facing a Marsh Grass outcropping along the SF Bay in Fremont - very scenic - and off to my left was an artists painting the scene in the late afternoon light. She saw the camera and came up to take a look through it. It was dark in there (f5.6) and I could tell that she was disappointed because of it. I later purchased a fresnel from the MAC group and it makes a world of difference on the 4x5's. The 8x10's don't seem to need them unless you need to focus at night.

Thomas

Eric Woodbury

I don't even notice the image rotation any more, except when I photograph a reflection and the image then appears right-side up. That's when I freak.

Nice question V.

It's all kind of mystical to me, unless I consider the Physics. Then it's merely obnoxious.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    I don't even notice the image rotation any more, except when I photograph a reflection and the image then appears right-side up. That's when I freak.
    Yes – and I've always thought a thread showing upside-down GG images at the time of composition (perhaps taken with a smart phone?) would be peaceful, calming, and soothing to many of us here!