Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rucksack advice required

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Rucksack advice required

I have Lowepro Pro Tracker AW which I have bought for my Sinar F1. In my set are 3 lenses on lensboard, 15 holders, 2 bellows few roods and more smaller stuff. I have bought that rucksack just for Sinar and it fits almost perfectly, but is heavy. And have to be almost completely disassembled. After just one month of mountaineering with it (one day hikes) I decided to buy Tachihara, and that one (with similar equipment) fits in Lowepro Mini Tracker. And is much much more lighter. With Sinar in a Pro Tracker there is room for one additional SLR or dSLR with one lens on it.

Rucksack advice required

Thanks everyone for your informative answers. The Kelty Redwing seems quite interesting. I have a Lowepro for my 35mm gear which is very nice but they're not 'alf expensive! Now to find a UK dealer for these Keltys...

Thanks again to all of you - great help!

Dan.

Rucksack advice required

Dan,

Are you using the pack by itself ONLY to haul the camera gear or is it also something for travelling/hiking/backpacking.

I use a system of two bags.

A smaller 'day pack' sized bag carries the camera body (8x10) with a lens attached, another lens in a padded zip pouch, 3-4 film holders, meter and all the little bits (filters, tape, etc). This bag is a zippered bag, but not around the sides. It is like a toploader with a zip closure (ie flap over the top, the main compartment is a cradle). It is made by 'soloman' (sp?).

This bag gets thrown into a toploading pack for travel, hiking, walking etc, because I will have clothes, extra boxes of film, change bag etc.

so the small bag gets hauled around taking pics etc, and if travelling nothing changes, it just gets thrown down the throat of the toplading pack (MUCH better waterproofing, no zips to die mid trip etc) on top of a sleeping bag and all the clothes. simple.

I would definitely suggest the non photographic backpacks (I have owned a few). A walking/climbing pack is generally lighter, has a better harness, and has less gadgets (crap) attached.

cheers,
    D.

Rucksack advice required

Dan, where in the UK are you? You will have difficulty finding a Kelty there, so if you must have a redwing, you'll probably have to order from the states (I'd use www.rei.com). Otherwise, Karrimor and Berghaus make similar panel-loading internal-frame packs and are widely available in the UK, both at retail and mail order. I'm partial to MacPac rucksacks for affordable bombproof construction and good design, and they too are fairly easy to find.

Rucksack advice required

Straun is definitely right about macpac. even after they moved manufacture out of NZ the packs are still sweet.

D.