Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wristwatch for backpacking with LF?

Question Wristwatch for backpacking with LF?

Heya folks! I've been thinking about picking up just an old school crappy digital watch (like a Casio) mostly so I can use a stopwatch without adding much weight to my pack and without needing to use my phone. Only thing I might need my phone for is to calculate reciprocity and bellows extension. Thinking of bringing paper for it and doing it fully old school (kinda going out there to unplug and pretty much don't want to think about my phone unless there's an emergency).

So any tips on a good, cheap, watch that might work well?

Re: Wristwatch for backpacking with LF?

Why not a real wind up watch like the military type from VietNam war days? Even comes in OD Green. Uses no batteries and you can be entertained watching the second hand go around.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Any Casio waterproof digital. The W-800H is about $25 or less and waterproof to 100 meters. Me, I wear a G-Shock classic-around $40 and tough. Mine has survived 2 trips thru the water and dryer.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Why not a real wind up watch like the military type from VietNam war days? Even comes in OD Green. Uses no batteries and you can be entertained watching the second hand go around.
    Or comb through the thrift and antique shops and get an old Hamilton tank style (rectangular) to complete the period look (bellows camera, fedora...)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yeah Ben Horne uses a mechanical stopwatch I noticed for timing his exposures. Would be fun! I was actually thinking about a Casio calculator watch because they're still available and cheap (should I need to do some reciprocity failure math). I thought I might go digital this time just for cost (and weight). Been trying to avoid using Amazon so much but they have a W-800H that's $11 for instance (and it has a stopwatch)

Casio F-91W

May get you put on a watch list though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_...e_in_terrorism

Any of the inexpensive Timex analog models. I find the sweep second hand the easiest to use for timing longer exposures, easier than a digital stopwatch.

Good thread . I, unlike most of my age group, wear a watch pretty religiously. I don't have a hiking-specific watch, but my daily-use watch is a solar-powered Citizen that is pretty heavy. I have occasionally grabbed my other favorite watch when hiking and thinking about weight, which is a neat mechanical watch made in the old Soviet block*. I bought it online from Russia for not much money and it is a beautiful little jewel of a watch and keeps great time, and also comes with a mechanical "alarm" that I use when camping to wake me up. Anyway, it doesn't have a stopwatch but I just look at the second hand and count, or if in minutes just note the minute and wait.

I'll be interested to see what others say, especially in the vein of mechanical watches. Why not go all the way with less battery dependence?

*I keep thinking I should get a Zorki or FED to go with it! But perhaps not a good time in history to do so.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Eric Woodbury

One-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three-Mississippi......

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    One-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three-Mississippi......
    +1!