Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shutter and front Standard for my DIY ULF

Re: Shutter and front Standard for my DIY ULF

Nice, but that huge lens is making your camera say 'ouch!' But, hey, if it works...

One of the things I like about ULF, and film photography in general, is the potential mixture of the extremely precise and the 'just put a clamp on it'!

The vageeswari has a small clip on the bottom of the front standard to hold the lens plate vertical, if you look at it sideways it will pop open, Hence the clamp. Yes it was a lot of burden on the front of a lightweight 10x12, but it got the job done.

Looks nice Paul!

I had a 8x20 for a brief period (1 photo ) that used a Toyo G 8x10 as the underlying system. It was interesting how the person who did the conversion was able to remove the 8x10 back and fairly easily install the 8x20 Wisner conversion. It was still possible to easily change back and forth.

My For-Sale listing does a decent job of showing how the 8x20 Wisner conversion attached to the 8x10 G rear standards . . .

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-8x10-G-Camera

To revert back to 8x10, once the 8x20 conversion is removed from the 8x10 G standard, on can reattach the 8x10 back onto the standard. See the 2nd and 3rd posts in the listing.

The camera I'm working on will work in a similar way, but since I have a 760mm lens, I plan to have the camera capable of about 50-55 inches of bellows draw. I haven't settled on just how it will all be made, so won't describe it yet. I keep finding cool ideas, and even coming up with some of my own.

andrewch59: Sorry if I came across as dissing your camera. I like it a lot, and envy your huge lens.

And thanks, jp!

No Probs Paul, I think your idea is great and possibly sturdier than mine, and yours looks a million dollars. The only drawback is it cannot be used on other cameras. Good luck with our build.
    Andrew

Thanks, Andrew! I was careful to do as little modification to the Speed Graphic as possible, so putting a different adapter on it, for use with a different camera/front standard, would be easy enough. I've put it aside for now, reluctantly, while I raise funds and work on other projects.

This is my first ULF DIY project, but it's already giving me ideas for others. That may be both a good thing, and a bad one....