Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Summer Water Chiller Design Wanted

DIY Summer Water Chiller Design Wanted

As I work on making a Darkroom in my new location I think summer water will go above 72 F and I want to start planning for that. Plumbing is coming up.

Installing sink today

32" tall refrigerator may convert to a Jockey Box with a bucket of water and an immersed coil. Clean and disconnect it every Fall.

There are some better coils available like this. https://www.kegerator.com/ubc-high-e...il/JBA120.html

The fridge runs now, so energy use will not increase.

Plumbed inline with my Cold water feed to a Hass Valve with Hot water it may work. I mostly trickle water.

Of course, I will valve it all ways to Monday with bypass.

Any suggestions?

Re: DIY Summer Water Chiller Design Wanted

Not really the right thing. It must be ordered with a pump, which I don't need, it's Titanium and made to keep expensive fish alive.

I bet it's really expensive.

I think my plan will work, but perhaps somebody has a better idea?

Maybe I need fish. I have considered that. But I once babysat one fish in a small tank in my home. That fish was very demanding as was its owner.

As soon as I got home the little bugger went nuts, jumping, wiggling and swimming like a dog! It wanted food asap. Fish survived my maintenance for 6 months then momma took it in a car to LA. It died en route.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post

Randy, do you know the temperature of your incoming water and how much it varies during seasons? Just trying to establish a base-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Randy, do you know the temperature of your incoming water and how much it varies during seasons? Just trying to establish a base-line.
    No, I moved in here last September and did not take measurements. I was too busy moving and being very sick. I am now as well as a f黎ard racatour can be.

I guess it is 40 F midwinter. Last Labor day 80 F. I prefer to stabilize at 68 F for the Darkroom. The Hass does that easily, consistently and quickly. Even Chicago Lake water was reaching 70 F every Labor day.

I致e been looking at the chillers that jon.oman linked to. They are about $100-$250 in the capacity I知 interested in. A suitable pump is ~$25.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Jason for an aquarium or?

I want to use my normal pressurized tap water.

Could you post the products you are looking at?

I値l be using it to chill water for temperature control during emulsion making, so I have to control temps well below room temp.

Just look up water chiller on ebay, you値l see a whole array of them that will give you options for capacity.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Thanks, Jason!

I think it's OK to post nonphotographic gear links to eBay. Black Flag me if I am wrong.

Saw this listed from many sellers. 11 Liters a minute will obviously flow enough but they don't note Delta. It has a pump which I don't need or want. Just more to fail.

The heat exchanger design is a coll in a bucket. Same as mine. For this price, I expect the chiller is Solid State such as those 'never works' 12 VDC Solid State Food Coolers.

I used to install heat exchangers for deep chilling antifreeze. We had huge compressors chilling 1400 gallons antifreeze to -40. 250F engine to -25F in a minute testing.

I'm not sure what I will do yet and will leave this thread open for the ongoing experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I値l be using it to chill water for temperature control during emulsion making, so I have to control temps well below room temp.

Just look up water chiller on ebay, you値l see a whole array of them that will give you options for capacity.

(Shrek)

Buy a used water cooler off your local Craigslist and make a plug with a water inlet where the bottle would go, remove the tap and connect to your Hass valve? Should be under $50 including the plumbing fittings, and when that water cooler breaks you buy another $25 one.

Alternately, if your 32" mini-fridge is working, get some 1/4" copper tubing, route it through the walls (making sure you're away from the coils), route 5 or 10 ft of it in a coil through a closed (so it doesn't evaporate) 5 gal (or whatever will fit) pail of water inside the fridge. The fridge stays on, keeping that reservoir cool, so the fridge doesn't have to be powerful enough to cool the volume of water you need instantaneously. It will work until the reservoir reaches the temp of your incoming water.