Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Top hat” lens board for Crown Graphic?

Re: “Top hat” lens board for Crown Graphic?

Daniel, nice craftsmanship and very inventive! Yes! That is what I was thinking: to trim down some other board and attach the salvage remnant to a Crowb board. Did you tap and thread the holes, or drill a pilot and let the screw grip? Or small small screws/bolts with nuts? Knowing exactly what screws yu use would be a great help. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    2016-07-08 06.11.52 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Another possibility for you, are these anodized screw-together metal tubes (made in China). $20 each they are advertised on Ebay as for "Wista", but I modify mine to fit Plaubel Peco Jr. Nicely made and not too expensive, either. Come in three different lengths, your choice. I have quite a few of these, I keep reordering them as I need them. I lined this tube set with flocking paper from Edmund Scientific.

Shown ^^: 360mm F11 Kern-Arau dialyte on Plaubel Peco Jr board (No; It's not heavy at all. A lightweight set).

You can also see how I trimmed down the original Wista board (also $20) with my power scroll saw and attached that to the Plaubel board, again using teeny tiny modeling brass screws from the local hobby shop.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

I bought an assortment of sizes, these are all usuable depending on what you are fabricating. Google "hobby modeling screws" and there are plenty of sources.
    I use a mini drill press to drill the holes through the cone and the board, then use nuts and screws to hold it all together. I even use some stuff I bought at the local Home Depot in the hardware department. It's not that critical. Flat back spray krylon (sprayed onto a cardboard and applied by brush) is your friend.

Here is one source if you don't have hobby shops in your area: https://www.rtlfasteners.com/
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Daniel,

Thanks for the additional detail. I love improvising and using found materials, so this approach appeals to me greatly.

I’m now trying to determine how long of a tube I can use and have another thread posing the problem.

Many thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I bought an assortment of sizes, these are all usuable depending on what you are fabricating. Google "hobby modeling screws" and there are plenty of sources.
    I use a mini drill press to drill the holes through the cone and the board, then use nuts and screws to hold it all together. I even use some stuff I bought at the local Home Depot in the hardware department. It's not that critical. Flat back spray krylon (sprayed onto a cardboard and applied by brush) is your friend.

Here is one source if you don't have hobby shops in your area: https://www.rtlfasteners.com/
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics