Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Stuff for 717: please advice

Miscellaneous Stuff for 717: please advice

Hi all

I'm seriously considering adding 717 to my work for an ongoing project and wanted to see if in fact I have everything I need to make the move. I have several lenses that cover as well as a sturdy Ries tripod and head, so all I need is a camera and holders for makng exposures (and film, where are you folks getting your film other than the yearly ilford order?). So then development and printing I'll do in trays as I've done w 810, simply use larger ones which I have, same for printing. Actually, for printing, will a large piece of plate glass work well for contact printing or do I need something stiffer like a vacuum or spring frame? Then storage is a big mystery. I've seen people storing developed negs in their original boxes, but I'm not sure how archival that is. Nowhere do you all get envelopes for ulf? What am I missing, and who has an extra camera and holders to get me going? Thanks

GB

Re: Miscellaneous Stuff for 717: please advice

Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    .... and who has an extra camera and holders to get me going? Thanks
    GB
    Good luck with this one. You need everything you need for 8x10 except lenses with a larger image circle and larger trays/tubes to develop. I sure would use 8x10 (or 4x10) and enlarge slightly if needed. Good luck! L

for processing 7x17, I use abs pipes with the end caps from the smaller Simma tubes. Perfect fit. I did sand the interior with fine steel wool and possibly 600 or so sandpaper before use.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

New Orleans, LA

7x17 is a great complement to the boxy 8x10 and it will open up a whole new way of seeing for you. Sounds like you have most of what you need once you get a camera and holders. Ah, holders. That has been the most difficult part of putting together a working kit. I was lucky to get 3 holders with the camera and have bought a few more since then but they've all needed work. Sent them to Richard Ritter, along with the ground glass frame, and he made sure everything fit correctly. Oh, and you'll need a larger dark cloth. Good luck!

Thanks Thom, but I just checked ilford's ulf prices, ouch! 11$ a pop is crazy for this film, hope adox get their act together quick and can offer a relatively saner price. Where do you all get your film besides the ilford yearly ulf order?

Thanks Thom, but I just checked ilford's ulf prices, ouch! 11$ a pop is crazy for this film,...
    Welcome to ULF, my friend. You might want to research availability of x-ray film. It will probably have to be cut down, possibly from 14x17.

New Orleans, LA

Gabriel,

I have found outdated film on ebay and the forum but only used it for testing holders and getting used to the camera. Now that I've started photographing with the Korona in earnest I'm using freshly bought film that I got via Midwest Photo during the Ilford ULF yearly order. I've tried to estimate how much I will use in a year and still have plenty in the fridge from my first order a couple of years ago. Getting some more this year, though because I'm stepping up my game and plan to shoot a good bit this year. I calculate it's only $8/sheet . Crazy but I'm loving the contact prints and, hopefully, I'll sell a few and make some of the original costs back.

Thinking down the line (still looking for a camera but bought some film) I was wondering how those of you who dry mount your prints do so for 717 silver prints. For 810 I use 13x15 archival board w bienfang colormount, curious how you do 717, what size mount and which tissue you use. Thanks.

Thinking down the line (still looking for a camera but bought some film) I was wondering how those of you who dry mount your prints do so for 717 silver prints. For 810 I use 13x15 archival board w bienfang colormount, curious how you do 717, what size mount and which tissue you use. Thanks.
    With the amount of $$ invested in a 7/17 kit is the cost cutting of film really a concern ?? I mount my 7/17’s on 15x/25 mount board. Get three full sheets out of a 32/40 4 ply board with very little waste

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com