Thread: Replacing the lamps in a porta trace

Replacing the lamps in a porta trace

I have an old porta trace that I can't use because of the voltage. (I don't want to use a transformer)

I thought of replacing the bulbs with LED, does anyone have a recent model that uses LEDs, that they would take the cover cover off and post a photo?

Re: Replacing the lamps in a porta trace

Why not just get the proper voltage tubes? Doesn’t this box run off line voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why not just get the proper voltage tubes? Doesn’t this box run off line voltage?
    The originals are fluorescents witch include a two small ballast units that are 110V, that is what I would need to replace and rewire. If I was going to that, I would rather put LED in there. The new units look identical so I was just wondering how the lights are arranged, what type etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    The originals are fluorescents witch include a two small ballast units that are 110V, that is what I would need to replace and rewire. If I was going to that, I would rather put LED in there. The new units look identical so I was just wondering how the lights are arranged, what type etc.
    Don’t you also have some kind of reflecting and diffusing system unique to the specific LEDs you decide on? We sold both fluorescent and LED light boxes for several years and the interiors were very different!
    Seems it would be easier and cheaper to just use a step up or down transformer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Don’t you also have some kind of reflecting and diffusing system unique to the specific LEDs you decide on?
    Most likely! But I was hoping that if someone was kind enough to post a photo of the innards, I could work out how to make something similar. I have a 10x12 box.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baker View Post
    Most likely! But I was hoping that if someone was kind enough to post a photo of the innards, I could work out how to make something similar. I have a 10x12 box.
    Our fluorescent boxes had a specially contoured bottom that the tubes sat between to aid and even the illumination.
    Our LED boxes were totally different, the bottom was flat and had a sheet of thousands of small prisons to even the light. The LEDs were not under the viewing surface, they were to the side of a thick acrylic sheet of plastic and their light was ported to it at the long edges, a sheet of diffusion material covered the acrylic. There was a very big difference in technology between the two systems.
    Changing a ballast is much easier. Did you check the voltage range on the ballasts to see if they might be multi voltage?

But a transformer is still the easiest.