Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help Stripping Down Apo Nikkor Lens

Re: Need Help Stripping Down Apo Nikkor Lens

Yes, go to the "Vintage Lens Disassembly and Re-Assembly" forum - they can help.

I took apart my B&H 11X14 1C years ago - like to of never got it back together...damn aluminum threads. I doubt that I got the lens elements aligned just right because it is soft'ish when shooting wide open, but close down a stop or two it is just right.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JefStar View Post
    Well I was hoping for some advice..It appears I am asking in the wrong forum, apologies to all.
    You're in the correct forum and got good advice. I accept your apology for wasting our time.

One APO Nikkor bites the dust..

Ripping a lens apart is easy, the really difficult part is putting it back together properly with proper alignment for designed in performance.
    Lens appears "basic" due to it's superficial simplicity, but is the actual complexity of this lens completely understood, appreciated and respected?

So, yes this APO Nikkor can be put back together.. How can this precision optical instrument be tested for meeting specification as designed as intended?

And no. this is not a B&H photographic vintage lens that was never designed and intended to have this level of optical performance.

I'm sure this APO Nikkor will "Function" how well does it function now that it has been "cleaned"... ? The Naysayer comment is much about ego-arrorgance, rather than understanding and respect for a precision optical instrument.

Bernice

Well I was hoping for some advice. What I got was a lot of "Naysayers"

My thanks go to mdarton and Randy Moe for injecting some positive comments at least.

These types of lenses are fairly basic items, from a mechanical point of view that is. I have opened it and I have come to a point where it would be nice to know if there are any hidden fixing points, or not, so I do not exert unnecessary force.

It appears I am asking in the wrong forum, apologies to all.

Well I was hoping for some advice. What I got was a lot of "Naysayers"

It appears I am asking in the wrong forum, apologies to all.
    Do not mistake our intentions to keep you from harmful mistakes for negativity.

Red face Need Help Stripping Down Apo Nikkor Lens

This was originally (wrongly) posted to Lenses & Lens Accessories page

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction to find servicing/repair information for Apo Nikkor lenses. I need to strip it down to clean the optical elements and the iris mechanism.

Jeff

Hi, can anyone point me in the right direction to find servicing/repair information for Apo Nikkor lenses. I need to strip it down to clean the optical elements and the iris mechanism.

Jeff
    I can. The right direction is right here - http://www.largeformatphotography.in...24#post1441624

Threads merged.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

I love this!!
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

I should just let this one lie here stinking, but I know that anyone who has problem customers will quickly identify with the "You know, this one is just the way it should be, and I would be remiss to mess with it and possibly change something" method of getting rid of customers who show too much interest in micromanaging and nit-picking a job and then ultimately complain about your work to everyone they know. So what I would recommend the OP do, since he's relatively new, is look through peoples' posting histories, and get a feel for people's posting style before you take their advice. If someone's main history is of dissing other people and complaining, maybe you should take that into consideration.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    If someone's main history is of dissing other people and complaining, maybe you should take that into consideration.
    The forum has an "Ignore list" feature, which can be put to effective use.