Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to get: PS, Affinity, GIMP, ON1, other?

Re: What to get: PS, Affinity, GIMP, ON1, other?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    16-bit color, including unsharp masking and other basics. That was a failure point for me.
    Rick, you are right, in Photopaint the Unsharp sharpening does not work with 16 bit per channel images, this is a pitfall, anyway the Sharpen filter do work with 16 bits per channel images. It's explained in the manual lhttp://product.corel.com/help/PHOTO-PAINT/540227992/Main/EN/User-Guide/Corel-PHOTO-PAINT-2018.pdf , page 155.

I downloaded the trial version 2 weeks ago and played a bit with it, it liked me, but I was not aware that one of the sharpening filters only works with 8 bits per channel... this has a relative importance because the Sharpen filter still works with all images, having that limitation anyway it would be a pitfall for a Pro user.

I don't have Photopaint, but I do have Corel videostudio. They don't use a subscription service. Instead, they put out new versions of the software very frequently. Thus, if you want to take advantage of new features, you have to pay regularly. It's really not all that different than a subscription service. They big difference is if you don't want any of the new features, you don't have to upgrade.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

multiplex

i used afinity for the free trial period,
    it worked well, but their customer support
    well, lets just say it didn't ...
    i went to "the forum" and asked a question ...
    i use channels a lot and attempted to find out
    how to do a simple operation which takes like 20seconds
    in PS but couldn't figure it out in affinity ... my username and password
    "got stuck in the pipe" for 7 out of the 10 day trial period, and i got
    1 answer that was no help and even with date stamped emails with some
    tech support guy from another department ( who told me my questions was stuck in the pipe )
    .. well, i called the 800 phone number
    and some british guy was foul mouthed and rude and called me a liar when i
    told him "help" was backed up for 7days.. ( and forwarded him the date stamped emails )
    hard to believe customer support people lack comon manners .. oh well ...SSDD

look at pixelmator ( its in the mac/app store ) if you are a win machine GOOD LUCK !
    i ended up getting photoshop for a few bucks a month it does everything i am used to it doing and then some
    ( been using it since the mid 90s ) .. unless it is ez stuff like crop invert levels hue, affinity mght be more difficult than its $50 price tag

Nobody mentioned PhotoLine. No subscription, similar workflows to PS, small footprint, OS X and WIN.
    http://www.pl32.com
    The domain name is misleading from long times ago, today it is a 64 bit app for 16/48 bit image editing.
    I've tried Affinity, but they don't want to correct the buggy EXIF, so if you send large format images to a printer they come out in business card size...

What to get: PS, Affinity, GIMP, ON1, other?

Another vote for using Vuescan as the capture software with your Epson V800. As for photo editing, I too dislike the subscription model of Adobe but figure the cost of $99/year is worth it to me for PS and LR. As for the issue of Adobe and the cloud, just don’t use their cloud for storing images and use the Classic Lightroom version. That way it’s not really a cloud product. The software sits on your computer as an app, there is no SAAS / web interface thank god.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What to get: PS, Affinity, GIMP, ON1, other?

One other issue to note is file size. A 48bit RGB from a 4x5 is around 500MB. Reduced to a 16 bit grayscale and you’re around 70-100MB. Store enough images and you are into terabytes of data pretty quickly. So budget some local storage (RAID 1 configuration which means two mirrored volumes on physically separate drives) and if you want a failsafe some cloud storage as well.

I’m a bit over board, but my images (family digital shots mostly) are on two cloud services, a local Raid 1, and on two copies of M-Disc BluRay disks in different locations. FYI I do live in earthquake and fire country - one set of disks (and the house they are in) narrowly escaped a forest fire last year. I refuse to be the one that loses all his family photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've been unhappy with the subscription model and after several years decided to ditch PS and LR when I received notification last night that another year's subscription would begin the following day. In effect I had less than 12 hours notice before being automatically locked into another 12 month contract with penalties for cancellation once the period had begun.

I got onto the Adobe website and, despite following online help, found that it was impossible to cancel my subscription. I opened a chat session and eventually succeeded in cancelling, rejecting a last-minute sweetner of three months free if I continued. It's a pity, because the software is so good. But in the end I don't like being locked into a subscription; it's like blackmail in a way. So when I need the digital option I'll have to revert back to Pixelmator, which is good, but not as good as PS/LR.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Nobody mentioned PhotoLine. No subscription, similar workflows to PS, small footprint, OS X and WIN.
    http://www.pl32.com
    The domain name is misleading from long times ago, today it is a 64 bit app for 16/48 bit image editing.
    I've tried Affinity, but they don't want to correct the buggy EXIF, so if you send large format images to a printer they come out in business card size...
    I didn’t even know about it, but it looks very interesting.

Rick “exploring further” Denney

I didn’t even know about it, but it looks very interesting.
    And for 59 € you can't go wrong.

Personally I would go with Photoshop. I understand that most people don't like the subscription model but for what you are paying verses what you get I don't think you'll find a better investment. And you never have to buy a new version, the Cc version is just updated as part of the subscription. I would also mention that given the tools in Photoshop you can almost always find a way of achieving what you are trying to accomplish with your photograph. You may find if you purchase another software it meets your needs now but not in the future. That is less likely with Photoshop.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned in the future you would like to print Piezography. Are you considering Piezography over traditional inkjet printing?

-Joshua