Thread: can you recommend a good digital print shop in the US?

can you recommend a good digital print shop in the US?

hey guys, when i used to live in the UK, i used thePrintspace.co.uk for a lot of my fancier digital prints. Good paper and process selection (inkjet and C-type, although no silver-halide), and they provide you with ICC profiles so you can soft-proof.

I'm wondering if anyone has a good print shop they know of here in the US that does the same that they can recommend. I miss being able to send things there, and so far i've been unsuccessful in finding a new good spot to rely on here in the US just from googling.

thanks!

Re: can you recommend a good digital print shop in the US?

It would help to know where you're located.
    If you put that in your profile it will show up on every post.

I use and highly recommend Dodge Chrome in Silver Spring, Maryland.
    https://www.dodgechrome.com/

They can do anything you want, up to covering the whole side of a building.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Depending on what you need, it may be worth checking out LightWork in Syracuse, NY. They do excellent work on a wide range of scanning and printing projects, and at remarkably reasonable prices. Plus, the folks who work there are really nice. For full disclosure, I am a member of LightWork, which is where I do all of my darkroom work.
    http://www.lightwork.org/services/

Bruce

Where (in general) are you located? As long as you are comfortable with mailing work then you can use anyone but if you could tell us where you are it might help narrow things down. I'm in the Washington D.C. area. Dodge Chrome is a good outfit (I started using them in the 90s) and Duggal in NYC is a good choice as well. Both are really expensive however I don't know anyone else using Dodge Chrome's Chromira Print process. It's digitally exposing color print materials and then traditionally processing it. They are beautiful but I have not seen them in black and white, only color. Digital Silver Imaging in MA is the only outfit I know of using their Digital Silver Print process, digital exposing Silver Halide based fiber paper to process in traditional black and white chemistry. Some of their prints I've seen are gorgeous.

I looked at the the link for theprintspace and if you really want customized print service then that is tougher than you think. Few print shops have more than a few papers offered for fine art inkjet printing. Even fewer spend the time and money to research new papers when they come available. For what its worth I finished my MFA in Photography last year. I printed my own work on the 60" Canon I bought. Much of my work is printed at 5'x7'. I put a ridiculous amount of time, effort and money into researching and custom profiling papers. I have started to work with other photographers printing their work. If you want to start a discussion on papers and printing PM me.

-Joshua
    www.joshuadunnphotography.com

Thanks for the replies. I’m in Los Angeles, but don’t mind shipping. I guess I never realized how specialized thePrintspace was doing both digital c-type and inkjet and pretty reasonably priced too! I was spoiled without realizing it. I figured there must be an analog here in L.A. but haven’t found it yet. Just came across Richard Photo lab which looks promising, although no C-type. Most other specialized shops I’ve come across don’t seem to have enough volume to have reasonable prices and good custom profiles to share for a variety of papers.