Thread: Lee sunshade II

Lee sunshade II

I decided to take my Lee wide angle lens hood and give it a try on the 4x5. The first image is the Chamonix 45H-1 fully extended. The second shows the gg image using a 210mm lens with shade on and fully extended. No vignetting that I can tell. I will yry with my shorter focal lengths to find the approximate length for each focal length. It is wide enough that only the length really matters. I can also angle it left right, can rotate to portrait mode as well. It has two filter slots in rear for 100mm filters. Unfortunately, you cannot also rotate the filter holder aspect. But I usually don't find I need filters in portrait orientation.

I use these to help avoid flair from strong side off angle lighting. Will be interesting to see how well it works in practice.

Anyone use something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AFD66791-A432-4EC3-A8FA-3748CAD8F25C.jpg   FE922D1F-B3DD-4E15-8BA6-8116CE715B42.jpg  

Re: Lee sunshade II

Steven, if the 1st picture shows your lens shade for the 210mm lens then it is well all too big, even if efficient. But you probably don't have anything smaller so it is still better than nothing. Lens shades are very important in photography and often an overlooked item.
    Now I'm expecting the usual "I use a dark slide as a lens shade" comments... Oh well.

Yes, it is bigger than needed for a long lens, as it was made for wide angle lenses in the 15mm range and up on 35mm format. But it works so I don't need specific ones for each lens. Besides, from a purely non-technical point of view, people get that funny look on their face when they see it.

I ahreebit is an overlooked tool. I know some who use no hood at all andbothersbwho always use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Besides, from a purely non-technical point of view, people get that funny look on their face when they see it.
    Oh, I know that all too well! I even needed to explain to professional photographers what a good lens shade does!
    But when I first presented my slides to the editor in a photo agency he asked me how do I get such saturated colours on my innocent Fuji RDP film. I told him I always use a good lens shade. We've been doing business for more than 20 years now. Go wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Oh, I know that all too well! I even needed to explain to professional photographers what a good lens shade does!
    But when I first presented my slides to the editor in a photo agency he asked me how do I get such saturated colours on my innocent Fuji RDP film. I told him I always use a good lens shade. We've been doing business for more than 20 years now. Go wonder.
    Sounds awesome. There is that.

I heard once it increases contrast, less hazy images and such, but I never noticed. Then again, most of my images have 100mm filters in front of the lens which doesn't leave much room for the lens hood.

I need to work on that. This hood lets you put filters behind. The hood does work down to a 15mm lens on 35mm, but you cannot really extend it very much same for the 17mm lens I use. I think 24mm and up is best for this. That being said, I am thinking the 72mm-75mm range is about as wide as I can go on 4x5 with this hood. The 75mm is about a 21mm equivalent on 35mm 72 is around 17mm. 65mm might be too wide.

Know of any good lens shades out there for the wide lenses?

Unfortunately, you're probably limited by the different ratio of the film dimension as the lens shade is made for the 35mm film format. You have to check it in practice for your lenses.
    And yes, it increases contrast if the lens shade is well done. I've made tests that were showing it very clearly, that's how I got hooked on it. There used to be a guy on this forum who wrote an article about it, proving it with pictures, but he's not here anymore I think.
    The best lens shades are those that are home made ones, that's what I've found out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Unfortunately, you're probably limited by the different ratio of the film dimension as the lens shade is made for the 35mm film format. You have to check it in practice for your lenses.
    And yes, it increases contrast if the lens shade is well done. I've made tests that were showing it very clearly, that's how I got hooked on it. There used to be a guy on this forum who wrote an article about it, proving it with pictures, but he's not here anymore I think.
    The best lens shades are those that are home made ones, that's what I've found out.
    Yeah, I suppose I could try to make one or have one made, but I am kinda a lazy engineer. Can't wait to get out and try it, hopefully this weekend.