Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Price Increases

Re: Film Price Increases

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    We all know about X-ray film and Caffenol and all the other ways to reduce the cost of photography, plus how digital has ruined everything - except for posting on forums

I actually hoped to hear from the people who said Fuji was an evil, uncaring company, interested only in milking customers to maximize profit. Most of the other companies were said to be small, flexible, without the huge overheads of multinationals and are "devoted" to film and analog photography. So why the increase? Why is there not much complaining?

Kumar
    As we have seen with Fujiroid, FUJI is perhaps practicable. End of the line. I have known many smart Japanese. Never fools. Meaning they work for the bottom line. Japan has had years of financial problems.

KODAK ignored the winds of change that they invented. Digital. KODAK did not embrace digital and their castle fell.

FUJI plans to live.

We need to get it on with DIY emulsions.

With the demise of Acros, and the looming exit of Fuji from the B&W segment, other manufacturers have increased their prices considerably.

Where are the people who castigated Fuji for their greedy ways?

Kumar
    Mind posting some specific announcements, prices, and information for this claim?

I'm not doubting you, it's just that I have no idea of what you are talking about specifically. Is this a manufacturer price increase or a retailer? Is it significant or just a few percentage points? I know some here take pleasure in keeping spreadsheets of prices by the hour but I have no idea off-hand what the current prices for comparable Kodak/Ilford products are other than T-Max 100, since I looked recently, and it seems unchanged at B&H.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    We need to get it on with DIY emulsions.
    And you can do good work with DIY emulsions. Case in point - from a collodion negative I made last night:

I don’t expect to increase my plate prices unless there’s a run on silver or I acquire a taste for more expensive beer. Doesn’t have anything to do with what Fuji’s doing.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I don’t expect to increase my plate prices unless there’s a run on silver or I acquire a taste for more expensive beer. Doesn’t have anything to do with what Fuji’s doing.
    Only drink good beer.

I have one a day.

I prefer North Coast Brewing Co Old Rasputin. 9% ABV. One is plenty. And healthy, https://northcoastbrewing.com/beers/...perial-stout/?
    ao_confirm

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Mind posting some specific announcements, prices, and information for this claim?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...price-increase

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Price-Increase

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...or-8x10-320TXP

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    And despite the increasing delays in shipping from distributors, and the rise of prices in the US and Europe, my prices for Acros 120 and 35mm remain what they were.

Kumar

I've posted before about Kodak's premium for sheet film sizes. Nothing new here, and that is specific to one emulsion and the whims of a retailer, not Kodak, as far as I can tell.

The thread about Ilford is inconclusive about what the actual price changes will be, as opposed to MSRP. This is an important distinction. It's not a 50% increase overnight or anything as far as I can see.

I don't know anything about Arista's pricing - is that a Freestyle increase or manufacturer?

IMO, Fuji's constant price increases in the last few years by 20% a pop was a signal. They don't seem to want to sell film. I hope Acros was just their lowest-performing product, with the large number of competitors (yes yes I know Acros was "different" than T-Max 100 or Delta 100 but it's still competition in price), and that they at least keep making slides. But I am not optimistic on that front frankly, and moreover can't afford it much anyway.

None of these threads are manufacturer announcements about global price increases, so I'm not really seeing the issue at the moment?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

And despite the increasing delays in shipping from distributors, and the rise of prices in the US and Europe, my prices for Acros 120 and 35mm remain what they were.

Kumar
    Kumar, I was never an Acros shooter. I was ignorant of its high qualities. My fault. I regret that now, but I also don't want a new lover if she runs away.

I shot 35mm Acros last week. Wonderful...and now I am sad it will end.

Badger Graphic still lists FP-4+ in 8x10 for $109/25, HP-5+ for $119/25
    Freestyle still lists Arista (Fomapan) 8x10 for $189/50 and Arista 8x10 Ortho 3.0 for $29/25
    Cxsonline lists Agfa high speed blue xray film 8x10 for $40/50 and Fuji Super RX Blue Full Speed for $31/100

There is still plenty of reasonably priced 8x10 film for us to have fun with.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White