Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Price Increases

Film Price Increases

With the demise of Acros, and the looming exit of Fuji from the B&W segment, other manufacturers have increased their prices considerably.

Where are the people who castigated Fuji for their greedy ways?

Kumar

Re: Film Price Increases

Guilty

Perhaps when the reality of the loss of ACROS hit, some photographers realized that paying more was a better option than not being able to buy at all.

God I hate digital. Just ruining everything.

Make every shot count.
    Always sound advice.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I've made my peace with Delta 100 for MF telephoto use, or other applications where that upswept curve handles highlights nicely. I still have ACROS sheet and roll film in the freezer for when its preferable. But large format poses no dilemmas for me because film grain is a non-issue, and I can pick films for their
    speed and tonality instead. Using FP4 in the 8x10 at the moment because I'm too much of a cheapskate to thaw any expensive TMY400. Just went thru hell
    working out the protocol for generating separation negs for DT printing from color negs, via interpositives first. Getting very close. But this kind of foolishness eats up a lot of 8X10 TMX 100. Looked at one of the near-miss green separation negs and said, hey! ... so I printed it today as a black and white print onto MGWT just as if it had been taken on ortho film to begin with.

I'm poor and the cost of shooting 8x10 is prohibitive. I don't make money shooting film, so the 8x10 gear may have to go.

I'm feeling that 4-5$ per sheet is my limit for 8x10 film

Quote Originally Posted by uphereinmytree View Post
    I'm poor and the cost of shooting 8x10 is prohibitive. I don't make money shooting film, so the 8x10 gear may have to go.

I'm feeling that 4-5$ per sheet is my limit for 8x10 film
    Shoot X-Ray and insist it is Art.

It's all about who can make it stick to the wall...

Truthfully, I see no reason not to use the Xray film if you have no other choice. I'm satisfied that the experimentation just on this site alone has demonstrated the capability of it being used with normal contrast results. All that you're really missing is the red sensitivity, if you buy the green stuff. So, you can't have near-infrared results out of it. But good work can net perfectly good scenics and other uses, where the average person would not suspect a thing different from pan film. When you think about it, they can make it so much cheaper from the bottom of the spectrum through green, almost to yellow. Why does it cost so much more just to get to the end of the spectrum up to red? It's non-sequitur.
    Or you can totally abandon your big camera and use the little ones, just because you want pan. But theway they're going, that will be gone too, all too soon. Then we'll all be living in 1865 again. Or you can just get rid of everything and go digital. But that's not photography, that's computers. Isn't there enough computer-this, and computer-that now? Every dadgum thing in life is computer. I wish they'd never invented the dadgum things. Should have stopped at IBM 360.
    To hell with it. Shoot xray film and be glad SOMEBODY is still using the hand crafts. OK, now I'm on a rant. Why doesn't somebody get wise and start trying to sell sheet films to gun stores to stock? I bet there's a ton of people walking into a gun store to look at guns, and see the little corner with all the yellow boxes and 2 or 3 cameras, that they never knew even existed. Might end up forgetting all about buying another gun, and buy one of those cool cameras and some film.

We all know about X-ray film and Caffenol and all the other ways to reduce the cost of photography, plus how digital has ruined everything - except for posting on forums

I actually hoped to hear from the people who said Fuji was an evil, uncaring company, interested only in milking customers to maximize profit. Most of the other companies were said to be small, flexible, without the huge overheads of multinationals and are "devoted" to film and analog photography. So why the increase? Why is there not much complaining?

Kumar