Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof V, modifications, and 65mm lenses

Re: Linhof V, modifications, and 65mm lenses

Even with a flap, bellows compression won't allow much movement. Even with a 75 it's pretty minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    When fitting a lens less than 75mm for RF operation, the front standard will be very close to end of the retracted slide, and may even overhang a bit. The stock recessed lensboard may not be deep enough. They have an internal cup that holds the lens forward about 1/4". For the 58, I had to remove that cup and put a flat plate drilled for the shutter in its place. The 58 was in a 00 shutter so there was plenty of room to hook up the Linhof quick cable release mechanism. A 65 in a 00 shutter would certainly work, but I am not sure if you could do the same with an 0, there might not be enough room. On a V, without the flap, you are not going be able to raise a 65 in any case.
    Neal, the Linhof recessed boards are no longer made that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bipin View Post
    Yeah, that definitely makes sense - I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to couple any lens, so long as it fits on the camera and you can cut the right curve for the cam. According to this I should have a decent amount of movement with my 65/4.5 Grandagon. I use my 4x5 cameras for 6x12 panoramas the vast, vast majority of time.
    Well, a couple of reasons:

1 the front standard might be so far back that it ends up in an unstable position on the front rails.
    2 it might end up inside the camera housing and that doesn’t have focus rails on any Technika except the 2000
    And 3000. And those two do not have a rangefinder.

I bought some recessed boards the other day! Doing the math regarding their recess and the flange-focal distance of my 65mm, I should be able to focus at infinity with the standard partway on the bed rails (it still holds securely though, with no play). However, I will get very limited rise. Since this camera is quite a beater, cosmetically, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of DIY work on it. I have access to a machine shop, so what would be stopping me from making my own Technika 3000-esque flap?

Right now I can think of two things; the bellows, as Jim said...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Even with a flap, bellows compression won't allow much movement. Even with a 75 it's pretty minimal.
    ...and the lock which keeps the bed closed against the body. Obviously if the flap can't be secured to its initial position, that lock is useless. In any case, I was thinking of getting new, custom bag bellows anyways. I've done this for field cameras before and it has worked out really well for my taste in lenses. so besides those few points, what other issues might I run into? I got this camera for dirt cheap, so I don't mind a bit of experimentation!
    dboswell.portfoliobox.net

Find more of my work here, find more about me here.
    Technika V, Technika 70, Rolleiflex 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by Bipin View Post
    I bought some recessed boards the other day! Doing the math regarding their recess and the flange-focal distance of my 65mm, I should be able to focus at infinity with the standard partway on the bed rails (it still holds securely though, with no play). However, I will get very limited rise. Since this camera is quite a beater, cosmetically, I wouldn't mind doing a bit of DIY work on it. I have access to a machine shop, so what would be stopping me from making my own Technika 3000-esque flap?

Right now I can think of two things; the bellows, as Jim said...

...and the lock which keeps the bed closed against the body. Obviously if the flap can't be secured to its initial position, that lock is useless. In any case, I was thinking of getting new, custom bag bellows anyways. I've done this for field cameras before and it has worked out really well for my taste in lenses. so besides those few points, what other issues might I run into? I got this camera for dirt cheap, so I don't mind a bit of experimentation!
    Go to the factory web site and download the Master Technika manual and learn how the flap works

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Go to the factory web site and download the Master Technika manual and learn how the flap works
    Right now I've been going off pictures I can find of it, which are few and far between. Will give it a read, thanks Bob.
    dboswell.portfoliobox.net

Find more of my work here, find more about me here.
    Technika V, Technika 70, Rolleiflex 3.5