Thread: Omega D2 enlarger: condensers for 4x5"

Omega D2 enlarger: condensers for 4x5"

Hi all,

I need some clarifications about how to set-up an Omega D2 enlarger to work with 4x5" sheets.

I recently bought an Omega D2 with a standard lamphouse. The enlarger came with a 6x6cm and full-frame negative carriers. The condenser appears to be a 4406 (4 11/16" double condenser). The good folks at http://www.khbphotografix.com list that as a condenser for 75-105mm lenses. If I want to use the enlarger for 4x5" I'll have to use the 4403 condenser (6 1/2") which appears to be for 135-150mm lenses.

I could not find that 4403 condenser anywhere in my area but here's the thing: I can get a variable condenser lamphouse from someone close-by. My question is, could I use my existing 4 11/16" double condenser and attach the lamphouse with the third condenser lens? Or it's requiring a different condenser all-together?

I'm coming from a B22 enlarger and things were simple with that; one condenser pair and an extra lens optional, depending on what king of film you're doing, 6x6 or 35mm.

Also since we're here, does the regular (flat) lens board work for a 135mm lens, or I need to get one of those raised/recessed lens-boards?

Thank you all.

Regards,
    Radu
    Parallel parking extraordinaire

Re: Omega D2 enlarger: condensers for 4x5"

Quote Originally Posted by radu_c View Post
    Hi all,

I need some clarifications about how to set-up an Omega D2 enlarger to work with 4x5" sheets.

I recently bought an Omega D2 with a standard lamphouse. The enlarger came with a 6x6cm and full-frame negative carriers. The condenser appears to be a 4406 (4 11/16" double condenser). The good folks at http://www.khbphotografix.com list that as a condenser for 75-105mm lenses. If I want to use the enlarger for 4x5" I'll have to use the 4403 condenser (6 1/2") which appears to be for 135-150mm lenses.

I could not find that 4403 condenser anywhere in my area but here's the thing: I can get a variable condenser lamphouse from someone close-by. My question is, could I use my existing 4 11/16" double condenser and attach the lamphouse with the third condenser lens? Or it's requiring a different condenser all-together?

I'm coming from a B22 enlarger and things were simple with that; one condenser pair and an extra lens optional, depending on what king of film you're doing, 6x6 or 35mm.

Also since we're here, does the regular (flat) lens board work for a 135mm lens, or I need to get one of those raised/recessed lens-boards?

Thank you all.

Regards,
    Radu
    I believe the variable condensor lamp house uses the fill size bottom condensor for all size neg carriers - rendering the smaller one you have useless.

I would have to think that you would be able to find a whole D2 with all kinds of parts, accessories. condensors and neg holders reasonably locally for 100 bucks or less

I also think the 135-150 lens will need a 'top hat' lensboard.. but it's been a while since I had one so I could be wrong there

Re: Omega D2 enlarger: condensers for 4x5"

In addition to the correct condenser set, you'll need a a lens cone and a flat lens board.

I think I may have a spare lens cone and condenser set that are suitable for a 135~150mm lens and 4x5 film...just not sure where they are...drop me a PM if you are interested.

The D2-V has it's own special condenser lens. It is in the little drawer below the lamp housing. The lens sits in a holder that sits on little shelves inside th edrawer. The whole lens is moved up or down for the various formats