Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Christopher Burkett Interview on PBS

Re: Christopher Burkett Interview on PBS

Interesting device... anyway this is to measure frequency, not elongation.

There are also mobile apps to measure vibration by reading internal accelemeters, I use this one https://web.archive.org/web/20180430...ensor&hl=en_US

Search "vibration meters"...

... but IMHO the laser it's essential to acknowledge the real impact of the vibration on film, because we can simply ponderate vibration we see in the spot according to the magnification, this pretty intuitive, and we also can make straight calcualtions to have a quantitative value.

The vibration frequency is useful to know at what shutter speed we may start freezing the vibration, ...if we expose only during 1/10 of the typical vibration cycle then we may have 1/5 of the blur radius than with a long exposure.

Sorry to see this thread turn into a critique of his camera technique as opposed to his thought process, his style, his philosophy, etc. As someone who uses 8x10 color slide film, I enjoy Burkett’s images for his keen eye, use of color, and of course, his masterful use of Ilfochrome. Having viewed 40 to 50 of his photos in person at Andrew Smith Gallery in Santa Fe years ago, he is certainly a master of Ilfochrome. The photos have a vibrancy I can only wish for in my work.

We are so envious of Mr. Burkett's work that we obfuscate.

I know I am guilty!

It is extraordinary work, beyond my skillless dabbling.

Mea culpa

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Sorry to see this thread turn into a critique of his camera technique as opposed to his thought process, his style, his philosophy, etc.
    No critique to Burkett's technique, but the counter: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1440987

Now just dicussing (sorry for the off) how to take good shots in his perfectionist way, while still realizing that the technical perfection is tinny share of a good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Sorry to see this thread turn into a critique of his camera technique as opposed to his thought process, his style, his philosophy, etc. As someone who uses 8x10 color slide film, I enjoy Burkett’s images for his keen eye, use of color, and of course, his masterful use of Ilfochrome. Having viewed 40 to 50 of his photos in person at Andrew Smith Gallery in Santa Fe years ago, he is certainly a master of Ilfochrome. The photos have a vibrancy I can only wish for in my work.
    That is why they sell Jim. Like you I could give a crap as to his technique because obviously he knows how to get it done.

Like it or not this video is a masterful lead in to a national audience and will absolutely knock it out of the park for Chris. Humble craftsman toiling for decades in a process that he choses to use irrespective of trends to the contrary. Sealing the deal is his emotion on the last time he will walk out of his darkroom and hangs it up when all of his material is used up. Good God the marketing genius is absolutely stellar. He will be transformed from being a current millionaire to a multi millionaire and I could not be happier for him. He earned it with his hard work and his passion for the art and craft. Long live capitalism !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    That is why they sell Jim. Like you I could give a crap as to his technique because obviously he knows how to get it done.

Like it or not this video is a masterful lead in to a national audience and will absolutely knock it out of the park for Chris. Humble craftsman toiling for decades in a process that he choses to use irrespective of trends to the contrary. Sealing the deal is his emotion on the last time he will walk out of his darkroom and hangs it up when all of his material is used up. Good God the marketing genius is absolutely stellar. He will be transformed from being a current millionaire to a multi millionaire and I could not be happier for him. He earned it with his hard work and his passion for the art and craft. Long live capitalism !
    For contrast you have Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee who, when their chosen printing paper Kodak AZO was taken from the market spent their own money to develop a new paper to replace it. Just as Burkett they work with one method and material to produce images they like. Craft and art together without all the uncertainty of constantly changing materials. All the creativity can go into the images rather than being sidetracked by having to learn new gear and methods over and over.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Like it or not this video is a masterful lead in to a national audience and will absolutely knock it out of the park for Chris.
    Michael, that video is impressive...

Drew Wiley

Pere - wind gusts are easy enough to detect by movements of a darkcloth, lens shade, adjacent foliage etc. One can even feel the wind. But anything resembling wobble in a tripod or head that needs to settle down is simply unacceptable. It means your setup is inadequate. I never have this kind of problem. It's all simply about torque vectors. With a monorail like a Sinar the stress or leverage is mainly linear along the rail axis. With flatbed cameras, the stress goes several directions, and the worst thing one can do is concentrate all that leverage on a small point like a quick-release plate or ball head neck. Yes, you can choose those things for strength or mass, but this just adds more weight trying to put a bandaid on a fundamental logistical error. Some 4x5 field cameras with modest bellows extension might not be too bad, but long extensions with heavy lenses or roll film backs, or bigger cameras like 8x10 are just asking for a problem.