Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

Re: Newbie of sorts: Photoshop Now?

Does Adobe still allow starting and stopping CC?

I know they used to, you only needed pay the rent when you need it.

A month a year WAS possible.

Of course this required online reset.

I'm learning. A lot of the discussion here is about digital source and PS (or alternatives) processing. I'm a 4x5 film shooter, ONLY B&W, now moved to a much smaller home--a condo, a place w/o hope or space for a darkroom.

I just bought an Epson scanner V800; it's on its way. (Thanks to Pere Casals for the recommendation.)

What should I get? PS, Affinity, GIMP, ON1???? I just want (1) 16-bit processing, (2) ability to adjust gray scale, (3) ability to repair negative boo-boos like scratches and dust marks. (4) Ultimately, the ability to manipulate Piezography inks. (Also, I'm not afraid of the cloud, but might like to avoid Adobe's.)

Fellow film freaks, chime in!
    Last edited by Peter Collins; 17-Apr-2018 at 10:35. Reason: Better expression after review (just like I use Word).
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

I don't store anything on the cloud, all local. So I don't have bandwidth issues. For me, the db functionality of LR is what I need. I control what folders are where and what my directory structure looks like. I have 8 2 TB drives external to my Mac from MacGurus. I work off of drive 2, (I chose 2 so that when I back up my operating system, I replace drive 1 with the backup drive for OS and also use it if need to boot from backup. The OS backup is completely separate from my photo drives) I back up drive 2 to each of the 7 drives every night. I have had to many drives crap on me to not have 8 drives with identical information. Which reminds me, one of my internal drives went t*ts up, gotta replace it.

I back up to the Cloud. Why not? I got tired of doing what you are doing. It's expensive too.

You still use Mac...

Digital is ephemeral. No arguing it's not.

I have nearly every negative I and family shot since 1964 when I was 13. Many scanned. I do the funeral books which are now online...

I am considering going to iPhone Verizon Data only, no WIFI, no DSL. I do prefer an iPhone.

I use a secondary supplier of Verizon Data which is cheaper than Verizon!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I don't store anything on the cloud, all local. So I don't have bandwidth issues. For me, the db functionality of LR is what I need. I control what folders are where and what my directory structure looks like. I have 8 2 TB drives external to my Mac from MacGurus. I work off of drive 2, (I chose 2 so that when I back up my operating system, I replace drive 1 with the backup drive for OS and also use it if need to boot from backup. The OS backup is completely separate from my photo drives) I back up drive 2 to each of the 7 drives every night. I have had to many drives crap on me to not have 8 drives with identical information. Which reminds me, one of my internal drives went t*ts up, gotta replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I back up to the Cloud. Why not? I got tired of doing what you are doing. It's expensive too.

You still use Mac...

Digital is ephemeral. No arguing it's not.

I have nearly every negative I and family shot since 1964 when I was 13. Many scanned. I do the funeral books which are now online...

I am considering going to iPhone Verizon Data only, no WIFI, no DSL. I do prefer an iPhone.

I use a secondary supplier of Verizon Data which is cheaper than Verizon!
    The cloud is slow and not secure. I do not want my anything out there fore the world to hack. It is hard enough to keep it secure on my own system, no way I trust some 3rd world vendor to maintain my data for me. Plus, it is way slow. I have a gigabyte connection to the outside world and even with that, to back up 2gb of data which will become 4 then 8 then 16 would be like weeks or months to get it all on there. and then I am subject trusting them to maintain and always make available. I believe in being isolated from the web as much as possible except where I have no choice. Not being connected for me is better than being connected and dependent upon it for my work/etc.

Not really more expensive, since my costs are fixed until I need a larger set of drives, then a 1 time cost that will last several years before needing to be expanded again. What I should do is have an offsite storage facility, in case of fire or theft or worse. And I started that once and just for 1gb of data, it was going to take like 3 or 4weeks to upload it all, not good. Will need to explore further I suppose, but I do not like having my anything out there in the world for anyone to hack/steal. Something I learned in the Marines and from being a Sheriff's Deputy. Trust no one, nothing. The only people I trust were/are my Marines and my wife. Everyone else, nope.

Yep, using Mac. Used to use pc exclusively, even built a couple, they worked okay, but have to many quirks, more vulnerable to viruses and in general now feel clunky ever since they went away from Windows XP. My Mac is a bit quirky too, but overall, it is perfect for my photography and it also integrates well with my ipad pro and iphone. If I want windows world, I use one of the programs that runs windows on the Mac (not an emulator) so, if I want I can have windows. My current laptop though is a surface pro 4 and the screen leaves a lot to be desired, flickers, etc. My next laptop will be a Macbook pro loaded up so I can travel light/er.

I have several thousand negatives to go thru and scan, plus all the old prints and super 8 movies from my dad/mom/grandparents and my wife and her parents etc. I will be scanning for a century!

Part of my business's work is computer maintenance.. Yesterday we had a macbook pro in the shop that had 151 virus infections. It's outdated thinking to consider Mac less prone to viruses these days.

Steven, if you've got all those drives, perhaps store some elsewhere, rotating a few off site even if they don't get backed up as often. I have the luxury of a detached garage at my place. I store backups (over a lan) to the garage. Fire or flood or theft, my data should be safe...

If I were using a cell phone and cloud backup, a five minute movie clip from my DSLR's SD card would use up my whole data allowance. For an average person, the cloud will be more reliable for most functions as they are not intentional about doing those services privately in a reliable and secure manner.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Part of my business's work is computer maintenance.. Yesterday we had a macbook pro in the shop that had 151 virus infections. It's outdated thinking to consider Mac less prone to viruses these days.

Steven, if you've got all those drives, perhaps store some elsewhere, rotating a few off site even if they don't get backed up as often. I have the luxury of a detached garage at my place. I store backups (over a lan) to the garage. Fire or flood or theft, my data should be safe...

If I were using a cell phone and cloud backup, a five minute movie clip from my DSLR's SD card would use up my whole data allowance. For an average person, the cloud will be more reliable for most functions as they are not intentional about doing those services privately in a reliable and secure manner.
    Yeah, your right on the virus thing, been lucky so far, but I bet I have 1 or 2 there I don't know about. I wanted to set up something like backing up to a separate drive outside of the house, like something stored in a fireproof safe since I don't have a detached garage. How would I go about setting up a separate remote disk storage I could back up too. I am good, but not all that good. Just needs to be reliable so I don't have to monkey with it all the time.

I could get a safe deposit box or just put them in a fire proof safe, if I don't have them backing up remotely.

I back up daily to a server on my home network running Unraid. It has 13 TB of storage (which I could easily increase to 20). It is not RAID, but it spans folders across the drives, and maintains a parity disk. If you lose one drive, it will rebuild its replacement. If you lose two at one time (highly unlikely), you only lose what’s on those drives so it’s not a total loss. But since it’s a backup system, you have to lose three at one time—two in the Unraid server and the primary disk in the computer being backed up. I’m using Macrium Reflect to manage the backups. I’ve already had to replace two drives in the backup system and one in a workstation with no data loss and minimal downtime.

To back up against the house burning down, a couple of external 4TB drives can be rotated out of the safety deposit box at the bank. But then even my negatives are not protected from that.

I use a cellular connection to the internet, with an “unlimited” data plan. But it’s slow and spotty. I have an even slower terrestrial microwave backup, using an automatic failover router. There is now way I can consider an online backup, even if I didn’t mind all my stuff being on the cloud.

Randy, when I get a chance to sit down and work on photos, I don’t want to have to spend the first chunk of that time turning on a subscription so I can do so. There is a use case for locally stored and configuration-managed software, leading to requirements Adobe no longer fulfills.

Rick “accustomed to dealing with complex system architecture” Denney

My use case is changing. Basically, after 21 years of computer and Internet usage, I have become disenchanted.

Only yesterday the IRS could not accept online payment. Our digital infrastructure is insufficient on a worldwide, national, local and personal basis. I don't envision improvement in my lifetime.

Net War is the reality. I have long suspected airplane crashes, mysterious training accidents, and computers full of things we did not put there.

For my own peace of mind, I am closing down Net access to me. A quiet retirement using film and wet printing is a goal. Slow food. Slow imaging. Sit on the veranda.

Even our cars track our every move. I have always been paranoid and now I know why I was not wrong. Stingrays will be getting better and I don't mean fish.

THEM

Randy, it's wise to be paranoid... It will be a battleground. It already has been, behind the scenes.
    My choice is to be wise about it's misuse at the same time take advantage of it's abilities for my own use. Our digital infrastructure has never been sufficient yet it has thrived.