Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me this:

Re: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me th

Yes compact dinkum.
    Aluminum Cold shoes screw on mostly with 1/4-20 screws or teeeeny metal screws

I need to get those boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

Re: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me th

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    For a quick and cheap way to stabilize a vehicle with a platform on top, I cut lengths of 1x2 wood to prop at an angle between ground and vehicle frame. The vehicle is moved to make these props vertical. A plywood pad beneath the props is necessary in soft ground.
    I'm using the MASTER LOCK 265DCCSEN Telescoping Sliding Door Bar Lock so I have the ability to adjust to uneven terrain. They collapse nicely too.
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

I also wear a high-viz vest for both safety and the “official” look. Add a hard-hat to compete the ensemble and you resemble a survey team, which seems more comprehensible somehow. In addition, I often wrap a high-viz mesh vest as a skirt around my tripod, just below the head to make my setup more visible near traffic and pedestrians. For some shoots, I put magnetic Whelen lightbar on my SUV, and setup traffic cones. I also carry a fall restraint harness (Miller, with side and back anchor points).
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Schaf, since we are discussing gear here, I am working on my scale stick as the center hinge needs adjustment to align and lock properly. I agree that our similar folding scale sticks are a bit long. I’m thinking of removing the last (highest) section of my scale stick to reduce it to 12 ft. The full height is unwieldy, especially in the Texas wind. Mine has bolts that seem easily removable. Have you considered this?
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Schaf, since we are discussing gear here, I am working on my scale stick as the center hinge needs adjustment to align and lock properly. I agree that our similar folding scale sticks are a bit long. I’m thinking of removing the last (highest) section of my scale stick to reduce it to 12 ft. The full height is unwieldy, especially in the Texas wind. Mine has bolts that seem easily removable. Have you considered this?
    Since my 12' scale only folds in the middle, if I reduced it to a 10' scale I would need to renumber the scale since I can't just lop off the 1' and 12' end and make it work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rainbow_4x5-NEG-8E_schafphoto-265.jpg  
    `

Schaf,

Oh, I see! Mine is 16’ and folds into 4 sections. I just finished removing the highest quarter, making it 12’:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E86FBAB7-AA3C-4E54-A968-F02EB115A66F.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	177439

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6AE27784-239A-44CD-97A5-C6BF789ABAF7.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	177440
    Petroleum Oil Pics

You mentioned have a Lee filter ring on every lens—that’s a great ideas to save wear and tear on threads. If you were to get a filter system again, which would you buy? Also which exact
    polarized would you buy?
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Re: Lee filter rings and holder

I think there are a few really nice filter systems out there now. When I started it was only LEE. I just returned a "Breakthrough" filter holder which was very nice but didn't really accommodate the 4mm thick glass graduated filers I have. So I sent it back. I have so many LEE rings and four holders set up in different fashions with one, two and a one plus 105mm threaded slot. It would need to be a great product to make me want to invest in a whole new setup. I am getting a 17mm canon TSE lens soon and then I'll meet to look at the superwide 5 inch filters for that.

The trick with Lee I have found is to use them upside down so the weight of the filter plus the tension of the spring release are working to wedge the holder onto the filter ring. Otherwise the weight of a heavy glass filter or two will work AGAINST the spring loaded clip and make the whole assembly more wobbly. Even though the holder seems to make more sense with the clip up top, put the clip down.

Only get the LEE wide angle mounting rings because with movements you want as little vignetting as possible and because the regular rings are made of plastic and I have had them fail. The wide rings are all metal.

-Schaf
    `

Paul,
    I got my boots today. pretty nice. Now I need some snakes to try them out on.

-Schaf

Schaf!

Nice. Mine had a brochure that said 95% of snake bites are below I knee. I hope the Texas Diamondback rattlesnakes read that insert! Please see my post re: marking negs. Having some issues here.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Paul,
    I got my boots today. pretty nice. Now I need some snakes to try them out on.

-Schaf
    Petroleum Oil Pics