Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me this:

Re: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me th

Thanks for sharing these insights.

I like the idea of wearing a professional vest. I'm wondering if that might not curb passers by stopping to chat?

I have both a Lee shade and also a filter holder with the rings, etc. Are the Lee glass filters that you use multi-coated? (I'd heard of Lee resin filters, but not glass.)

I can see carrying a light-weight white piece of cloth, perhaps even one side white, one side black, for protecting bellows from the sun.

What's the purpose of hitting a film holder with the brush; is it to dislodge dust? I have a friend who, before each exposure, hits the loaded film-holder on his palm, so that he knows the orientation of the film sheet inside the holder.

After seeing the well-known photo of Ansel Adams on top of his wood-sided station wagon, I thought about installing a platform. But then, one's limited to locations that can be reached by a vehicle. I finally decided to purchase a reasonably priced, Gitzo Giant Studex 5 and carry a ladder. It'll go as high as I would ever need. (I also have a light-weight ladder that I can carry.)
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 9-May-2018 at 13:56.

Re: Twenty+ Years of Architecture and Large Format HABS/HAER Photography taught me th

Schaf,

Also, I like the hi-viz dark cloth — did you DIY make that?

On my old SUV, I shot 4x5 many times from the roof for years. It was my workhorse and could support me along the edges. On my new vehicle, I need a platform. Brainstorming.
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Sunscreen?

Anyone have any excellent sunscreen that's not too oily?
    -Schaf
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

I’m partial to Bullfrog Gel but I wash my hands after applying.

Quik Gel (right) and classic Superblock titanium dioxide style at left.

Quik Gel dries fast sort-of like Benadryl Gel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8C5109F-C492-4B80-9FA4-73319D458AF6.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	178729
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Do or do not. There is no try.

I've found the Neutrogena products to be basically non-oily. And they're PABA-free, which is important to me since the smell of that stuff makes me queasy.

I’m reading the photo guidelines regarding specified sunscreen (lol).

In the heat of the gulf oil patch in 101 heat index, just did a field test of Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunscreen. Applies nice and smooth. Feels quality. Slight white residue all over my face eventually vanished. Not oily but a somewhat lotion-greasy feel. Pretty good stuff - thanks for the suggestion!

As for me, I’m going back to Bullfrog Quik-Gel. YMMV. Quik Gel seems to last longer if you sweat heavily hauling gear in high heat and humidity. I like the way it evaporates like rubbing alcohol on my skin nice and cool. Also unlike cheap Banana Boat, which painfully stings my skin, Quik Gel is compatible with my somewhat sensitive skin chemistry.
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Thanks for sharing these insights.
    I like the idea of wearing a professional vest. I'm wondering if that might not curb passers by stopping to chat?
    I have both a Lee shade and also a filter holder with the rings, etc. Are the Lee glass filters that you use multi-coated? (I'd heard of Lee resin filters, but not glass.)
    I can see carrying a light-weight white piece of cloth, perhaps even one side white, one side black, for protecting bellows from the sun.
    What's the purpose of hitting a film holder with the brush; is it to dislodge dust? I have a friend who, before each exposure, hits the loaded film-holder on his palm, so that he knows the orientation of the film sheet inside the holder.
    After seeing the well-known photo of Ansel Adams on top of his wood-sided station wagon, I thought about installing a platform. But then, one's limited to locations that can be reached by a vehicle. I finally decided to purchase a reasonably priced, Gitzo Giant Studex 5 and carry a ladder. It'll go as high as I would ever need. (I also have a light-weight ladder that I can carry.)
    Hi Neil, I must've missed your post until now.
    - Yes the safety vest makes people think you are 'supposed' to be doing what you are doing. People will still ask, but they assume you are 'official' and sometimes just want directions to somewhere, and since you're 'on staff' with a vest and all, you must be a good person to ask.
    - I have Lee filters in resin, and glass filters from Schneider like the attenuator and two of my grads. They are 3+mm thick so I have to have thick tracks installed on the Lee holder.
    - My cloth bellows cover is white on the outside and black on the inside. when I built my camera I had it sewn to fit around the 5x7 bellows.
    - The brush banging filter is to dislodge dust. That's how we learned at Brooks. But I hosed many a holder before I started to wrap my brush with gaff tape.
    - I do tap my film holders on my palm to get the top film edge to seat the bottom of the holder so that I have a larger border for HABS numbering. It's just a habit now, I don't even know I'm doing it.
    - If you can't remember if you have film in a holder, you can shake it and you'll hear the film rattle back and forth.
    I have a 6' ladder in the truck too and take a 8' or 10' ladder when I know I'll be away from the truck... but it's so nice to stand on a platform, it was worth having it made. I have the 9' high Slik Professional 4 tripod that is remarkably stable fully extended. One of Slik's better products, their consumer tripods are less than impressive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schafphoto how not to move a tripod.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	178802

I had my dark cloth sewn from orange neon nylon and black cotton and the edges have a continuous string of curtain weights (available at large fabric stores) to weigh down the edges.

-Schaf
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

If you’re working on or over water and are required to wear a PFD, take a look at Mustang Survival H.I.T. Self-inflating “vests” (Type V Commercial) as they are less restrictive (than a traditional PFD) and the “H” stands for “hydrostatic” deployment, which I prefer. In short, they don’t fire the CO2 cartridge if they get splashed, but sense something like 4” of submersion to trigger inflation.

I like Schaf’s hi-vis dark cloth ...and my wife loves to sew

-Paul
    Petroleum Oil Pics

I found this thread a few months late but it really inspired me to want to get into the HABS/HAER world. I started another post in the business section looking for tips and advice so as to not to hijack this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-HAL-HAER-HALS

To each their own. Interesting stuff, but the Monty Python's King Author in me says, "Run away!"
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China