Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlarger height?

Re: Enlarger height?

Another option would be to have the counter under the enlarger a few inches lower, so the top of the baseboard and the rest of the counter are all one level. Would gain another couple of inches of extension. I've never been able to sit at the enlarger, I worked in one commercial darkroom where I was the only one who didn't.

Recently I acquired an 8X10 enlarger that can fit nearly anywhere.

A DIY conversion effort from a famous photographer who produced world class prints with it.

I will post details in the DIY section soon.

I don't yet have permission to name the person.

Better off with the Durst 138.

Since the 138 is a floor, self supporting enlarger where the head and base board adjust, this nicely solves the enlarger height -vs- enlargement ratio problem. There is a belief a 138 will take up a LOT more space than a table top enlarger, they do not. Once the table for the table top enlarger is accounted for and the base board for the 138 sized to actual print size need, the amount of space required is about the same.

The Durst 138 is a much nicer and much more capable enlarger than the Bessler or similar table top enlarger due to it's stability, precision and ability to accommodate nearly every enlarger related need. Plus, it can do 5x7 - 13x18cm, a format most table top enlargers will have difficulty with.

Bernice

Of course Bernice, a Durst 138 is a great enlarger.

But they don't grow on trees. Rarely available.

The conversion of a wall mount 4X5 to 8X10 can grow on trees.

I have a converted Zone VI 810 in my space. Upright column, Keinzle VC head. Spacer so that the column is cleared when making larger prints. Love it. If I had space for a Keinzle floor standing I would hock whatever to make that work.

"I did see, this morning, a 5x7 enlarger--a Durst 138S--on craigslist in a town across the state from me that was tempting for a minute. It appears to be fairly complete but is waay above my budget and is absolutely too big for the space I have.

Gentlemen, Thanks for your suggestions, etc!

Rob"

-Rob who started this discussion noted there is a Durst 138 near by, the suggestion was to get that Durst home and the enlarger difficulties will be solved with a bit of effort and resources. Would be very difficult to part with the current Durst 138 as there is nothing similar to easily replace it as I'm truly fond of this enlarger for many, many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Of course Bernice, a Durst 138 is a great enlarger.

But they don't grow on trees. Rarely available.

The conversion of a wall mount 4X5 to 8X10 can grow on trees.

I found it. !000 miles away.

I don't need it.

I draw my radius at 500 miles.

1 day there and 1 day back.

Worth the trip..

Many who endeavor into wet darkroom often start with a modest enlarger, then struggle with it's limitations in the process of print making. At some point of this struggle a serious effort might occur to seek out a proper-high quality enlarger that does more proper than struggle. Once the "good" enlarger is in place, properly set up then used to the best of it's ability, print making become more joy than struggle.

Similar is true for a GOOD darkroom sink and filtered, temperature controlled water source and drain system.

Point of this is to set up a print making space that is more joy and print making satisfaction then struggle and frustration with print making. Suspect this can be one of the reasons why so many give up on print making.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I found it. !000 miles away.

I don't need it.

I draw my radius at 500 miles.

1 day there and 1 day back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Worth the trip..

Many who endeavor into wet darkroom often start with a modest enlarger, then struggle with it's limitations in the process of print making. At some point of this struggle a serious effort might occur to seek out a proper-high quality enlarger that does more proper than struggle. Once the "good" enlarger is in place, properly set up then used to the best of it's ability, print making become more joy than struggle.

Similar is true for a GOOD darkroom sink and filtered, temperature controlled water source and drain system.

Point of this is to set up a print making space that is more joy and print making satisfaction then struggle and frustration with print making. Suspect this can be one of the reasons why so many give up on print making.

Bernice
    I have all that you list. I was set up in Chicago for years and now in a new/old home. Building a fresh darkroom out of the old. Sink, Hass, washers, Seal Press, etc.

I collect enlargers. I wet print.

My FOTAR 10X10 enlarger was hard to beat. I sold it to a guy who wanted only a FOTAR. He paid for my move. Very heavy. Perfect alignment even after moves. Laser checked.

There are options.

Thanks for the advice, Bernice!