Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brett Weston/Exhibition - Daytona Beach, FL - April 28, 2018 through July 29, 2018

Brett Weston/Exhibition - Daytona Beach, FL - April 28, 2018 through July 29, 2018

Re: Brett Weston/Exhibition - Daytona Beach, FL - April 28, 2018 through July 29, 201

Thanks Merg
    This is only about and hour and a half from me. I'll definitely make the trip.

Re: Brett Weston/Exhibition - Daytona Beach, FL - April 28, 2018 through July 29, 201

I have never seen a Brett Weston show, only prints owned by Paul Palleti in Louisville and what I have seen in books. I hope someday a show comes to Toronto of his work, maybe it has and I missed it.
    I really like his work, and all the great stories... particularly the one about printing in the evening and opening the doors to let the breeze come in.. he seems to have been quite a person

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have never seen a Brett Weston show, only prints owned by Paul Palleti in Louisville and what I have seen in books. I hope someday a show comes to Toronto of his work, maybe it has and I missed it.
    I really like his work, and all the great stories... particularly the one about printing in the evening and opening the doors to let the breeze come in.. he seems to have been quite a person
    Bob, those evening printing sessions were actually early morning. Brett was an early riser, usually up by four o'clock in the morning. In his later years, after moving to Hawaii, he was often in the darkroom by two o'clock in the morning. He taught me the value of those early morning hours. The man was driven, he lived photography; and we have the wonderful results.

Merg

My wife is an early riser 3am and when I am stressed and have a lot of work I get up with her and then go to the lab, its amazing how quiet and rewarding to work . I have to say that he is on my top all time list, I have to include A Sander and Brassai . One of my bucket photo list things to do is to see a major show of his work.

thank you for your insight.

Bob

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm in Orlando next month so I'll have to try to make it over to this.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm in Orlando next month so I'll have to try to make it over to this.
    Most welcome Corran, hope you make it over to the exhibition.

This is an opportunity to mention that the excellent film Art Wright made of Brett in 1972 is available on DVD. It is well worth the price, showing Brett in action, and also includes almost 900 images of his from the Brett Weston Archive. I was along for some of the filming, and appear briefly photographing with Brett at Point Lobos (with my Calumet 4x5). I believe that it is still available from Art, I heard from him a few months ago. Some on this forum have purchased the DVD and may chime in.

http://www.brettwestonphotographer.com/
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 15-Apr-2018 at 16:06.

In noting the origin of this exhibition, it may be the same one that was at the Pasadena Museum in 2016. If so, I would probably not go too far out of my way in anticipation of seeing Brett Weston at his best. My comments as to why, are in a previous thread on this forum. However, if you have never seen Brett's work, this would be a start.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...eston+pasadena

This is an opportunity to mention that the excellent film Art Wright made of Brett in 1972 is available on DVD. It is well worth the price, showing Brett in action, and also includes almost 900 images of his from the Brett Weston Archive. I was along for some of the filming, and appear briefly photographing with Brett at Point Lobos (with my Calumet 4x5). I believe that it is still available from Art, I heard from him a few months ago. Some on this forum have purchased the DVD and may chime in.

I purchased the DVD several years ago, found it quite enjoyable. You really get an insight about how photographically driven Brett was. I also remember seeing a younger Merg Ross.

It must be an excellent exhibition! I will be able to go next month.